Tuesday, May 6, 2014

"Comfort" Food?

Isn't is an interesting paradox that so-called comfort food makes us so uncomfortable? Usually when you sink into something you consider comfort food, you do so with gusto and inevitably overdo it, thus making you feel sluggish, sick, foggy-headed or any of dozens of symptoms.  Ironically, none of which are comforting or comfortable.

It's human nature to resort to the familiar in times of need. Much like someone who habitually goes back to an old discarded lover when they are feeling blue and alone.  They crave a reconnection to an ingrained recognizable guilty pleasure.  Inhibitions are cast aside and they relish the short-term pleasure, ignoring the imminent consequences.  You know you are going to regret it, yet you start a vicious cycle of self-loathing and misery. You dive in, head first, and do laps in the loony pool.  Can you say "drunk dialing?"  Well consider the fridge my cellphone and left over pizza my ex.  The theory is the same.  Let's do something that we will regret to make us feel better about ourselves.  Are you feeling the bugnuts, batshit craziness I'm layin' down here?

Somehow I (we) need to figure out a way to reprogram the wiring in our heads to seek out a roasted veg salad instead of pizza, creamy mashed cauliflower instead of mac and cheese, a piece of fruit instead of ice cream.  How about instead of bacon...well, don't be stupid.  There is no substitute for bacon, so screw that.  Just don't reach for it when you are vulnerable.  Loooves me some bacon!

Our heads are complicated and, too often, masochistic things, are they not?  Let's learn to identify our motivation and act with prudence when looking toward our taste buds to cure what ails our hearts.  Yeah, yeah. You are shaking your head saying "If it were only that easy."  Well, it ain't that easy, which is why I write this infernal blog.  If it were that easy, I'd be out in the world, thin, fit and climbing on a mountain or someone of the opposite sex.  Instead, I'm at the dining room table, typing away on my laptop.  We should give it a try just the same.  We might have less to seek comfort from if we did.

Be well, my friends.

Until the next time,
M

What I ate today:
Breakfast ~ Re-purposing lasts night's dinner, I had a turkey burger sliced crosswise, topped with perfectly fried eggs and roasted peppers.
Lunch ~ There was some homemade frozen brown rice jambalaya in the freezer, which I nuked.
Dinner ~ TBD, but likely a broiled fish and some veggies.


1 comment: