Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Weigh-in #9

I'm in a funk today.  I've been working hard at the new me.  I've been eating well and reporting it all here.  I'm exercising a fair amount, especially given my current size and potential strain on my knees.  Progress has been abundant to this point.  That would be until today.

This morning, I instinctively knew something wouldn't go right for the ninth trip to the TDT195 scale (excluding the initial weigh-in).  Last week's eigth weigh-in reported an unexpectedly high reduction.  I was just coming off a grueling weekend of gastric distress.  I could have been dehydrated and shown greater loss, due to that factor.  My body may have recouped and re-hydrated this week causing a give-back of the progress.  I completed my liver cleanse this week.  My body could be in recovery mode and storing more, as a result.  After walking over 11 miles, I may have built some muscle mass, but I doubt it's much.  I could have consumed more calories than I estimated in the last eight days.  All possible, but all conjecture.

I knew there would come a point in this journey where I might have to report a gain.  I told myself I would take it in stride, knowing that I was doing the right things and my body would do what's right.  Yet, I find this hard to swallow today, if you will pardon the phrase.  I regret to inform you all that, sadly, I did regain some weight.  A total of 1.2 lbs. in all, bringing me back to the 328.2 lbs. you see to the right.  I am flummoxed and a tad dejected.  My intellectual side tells me that it's okay and I may still, indeed, be burning fat.  My prideful side feels differently.  One thing I plan to do is use my scale's body fat percentage feature.  All part of the game I suppose.  I'll work extra hard this week to get back on top of it.
Cya tomorrow,
M
What I ate today and how I exercised:
Breakfast ~ Grape Nuts cereal w/blueberries, 1/2 a banana and unsweetened almond milk

Lunch ~ Smoke organic turkey breast on a spouted grain English muffin w/pickle and mustard

Afternoon ~ Tall decaf Mocha Light Frappaccino (130 calories)

Dinner ~ Braised cabbage, apples and chicken sausages (Pictured above, the sausages are just 60 calories/2.5g of fat each.  Whole dish is about 310 calories and 10.6 g fat)

Exercise ~ None today

11 comments:

  1. No big deal bro. Keep on the course. The path is proper, even if the destination is not direct. Chat soon. Luv ya.

    Ba

    ReplyDelete
  2. The path is hilly - just like our walks this weekend - but it is all good. The only thing that would make it bad would be if it discouraged you - so don't let it. All still routing for you. F

    ReplyDelete
  3. Statistically, that's probably not a gain at all. Keep your eye on the fact that you've changed your entire eating culture and are now exercising regularly. You are on track.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a feeling I am in the same boat-EASTER!!! Better luck next week- that's better then a gain. :)))))

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't know me but I found out about you through posts made by a friend of mine. Considering where you started, your progress overall regardless of your small gain this week has been very good.

    Try to keep in mind that real weight loss that stays lost is not done quickly. All of your guesses at reasons to plateau or even have a small gain are possible but the key is not to give up because of it. In the grand scheme of the journey, one week is meaningless except to learn from it.

    I applaud your effort! Keep going!

    -Adrian

    PS- I'm not an expert at this but, while the balance of your diet appears to be really good, it "feels" to me like your calories are bit low and your body may be reacting to it. Yes, you want to keep calories in less than calories used but don't go too low or your body could go into starvation mode. Maybe consider reviewing your food quantities with a nutritionist? No, I'm not one nor do I play one on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike, I think Adrian hits upon some good points. You need to make sure you are eating enough calories, as silly as that may seem.

    Anyway, you are still down 35 pounds from where you started and that is a huge accomplishment. Shrug this week off and keep looking and moving forward. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ditto to all above! Mike, you're doing great. One pound is nothing and you'll make it up soon...so..since you're up the pound anyway have ONE (just 1) jelly bean, call it a day and get back at it tomorrow.
    love ya!

    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone. I greatly appreciate the support.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Weight is just one piece if the bigger picture. Skkthe changes you gave made are impacting your overall health and well being. Things you can't measure on a weekly basis or with a scale. In math you draw a line to show a trend on a graph. Some points fall above and some fall below. It's the overall direction that's important not each measurement. You inspire us all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fluctuations in weight loss are common when the body is under any kind of perceived stress and that can include exercise, calorie restriction and tissue repair. The body is a wonderful self-regulating machine that will adjust metabolic processes to fit its needs at the moment. I feel that you should increase your vegetable and fiber intake in the form of whole foods and decrease whatever processed or convenience foods you've been eating. I've personally realized a dramatic increase in weight loss after acupressure. -tabitha

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can think of worse things. You looked good when we saw each other this past weekend.

    ReplyDelete