Sunday, April 29, 2012

A.L.O.E. 04.29.12

Greetings, travel mate!  This is A.L.O.E. Sunday.  A Little Of Everything regarding my, no our, journey on my road to 195 lbs.  Just a few of my thoughts, observations and nutritional facts brought to you in an effort to make us all healthier and give you insight into my recovery from food addiction.

Walking It Off?

I should start with a disclaimer.  I do understand that exercise is good and there are many, many benefits.  Strengthening your heart, lowering blood pressure, raising energy levels and making for a leaner body are just a few.  It's the latter that I will address tonight. 

I have noticed something over the last 84 days of this wonderful trip towards 195.  Thus far, I have seen little correlation between my exercise efforts and my weekly weight loss.  The weeks where I walked the most, I lost the least.  Weeks where I walked the least...you guess it, I lost the most.  There were some weeks where both were flat: moderate exercise and moderate change in my weight.  I have a twelve week sample that bears this out.

Despite my small sample, I totally comprehend that I need to exercise.  Aside from the above benefits, the Mayo Clinic also lists improving one's mood, having positive impact on sex life and promoting better sleep.  I do plan on increasing my exercise levels.  I have explained before that I don't enjoy it much at all and the evidence before me isn't helping.  I may never be a gym rat, but I'll get on the band wagon sometime... in spite of my warped correlations.

Week in Review

This past week I have eaten out a lot!  In fact, I have eaten 6 of my 20 meals (no dinner Friday) either out or with food brought in.  That flies in the face of my eat more meals at home edict.  The reality is, sometimes that just isn't possible.  I'm in outside sales and have a social life.  What's amazing to me is that it's doable these days because I am armed with my new resolve, my understanding of what wise choices are and you, my virtual sponsors to keep me on the straight and narrow.  Thanks, one and all, for the new found strength!  You are there beside me and I feel it everyday...especially at meal time.

Accepting Compliments

I have had many more people noticing the smaller me lately.  And with that, a lot more inquiries as to how I am doing it.  I'm trying hard to accept these kind-hearted words without the old aversion to them.  When coupled with genuine interest in my methods, it becomes so much easier.  Explaining my theories of healthy eating and my journey to others, really plays to my ego, I guess.   Apparently, even more than the kudos about my trimmer body.  It gives you a lesson in human nature when you step back and think about it.  Dale Carnegie teaches us in "How to Win Friends and Influence People."(Great book if you haven't read it.)  People LOVE to talk about themselves.  Obviously, I am no different.  So when offering someone a kind word, give them an opportunity to talk about their accomplishment.  It will the cherry on top of making them feel special and your interest will lift their spirits even more.

Cya for tomorrow for weigh-in #12,
M


What I ate today and how I exercised:

Breakfast ~ Kashi Island Vanilla cereal w/banana and unsweetened vanilla almond milk

Lunch ~ An un-turkey pita sandwich and a cocao beverage I found at the health food store

Snack ~ One Chobani fat free peach yogurt and later some nut and soy snack mix I picked up at Whole Foods Market

Dinner ~ A big-ass salad with mixed greens, tuna, cannellini beans, piquillo peppers, carrots and a homemade sherry wine vinaigrette

Exercise ~ 2.7 miles with my friend Alex.  Thanks Alex!

1 comment:

  1. Keep in mind you just started measuring your body fat and despite the way the scale is moving (or not moving), you still may have been losing body fat this whole time, which is the ultimate goal!!!

    ReplyDelete