Thursday, April 5, 2012

Food Thursday 04.05.12

Normally, you would expect to see today's installment titled, Cooking Thursday.  Frankly, that is a tad too narrow for my taste, so as I evolve, so does the blog.  Hence, from now on and forever, the Thursday edition will be called, Food Thursday...unless I change my mind again, of course.  All things food related today.  Nutritional facts, recipes, and notes from articles I've read, etc., will be presented from my supremely astute viewpoint, with wit and astounding insight.  (Hopefully, you chuckled at that last line.  I am nowhere near that conceited).

Food Facts
  • Did you know that consuming diet beverages make you gain weight?  According to Prevention Magazine, a study reported that those who consumed diet beverages had a 178% higher increase in waist circumference over 10 years than those who didn't.  Just the taste of something sweet can cause your body to hold onto calories as fat, due to a rise in insulin levels and lower blood sugar.  Step away from the Diet Coke...step awaaay from the Diet Coke.

  • A research study at Brigham and Women's Hospital, in Boston, showed that women who drank one to two glasses of wine daily, gained less weight over thirteen years than those who didn't consume alcohol.  What does this mean?  Do I look like I wear a lab coat and carry a clipboard?  Besides, I'm not a woman, so, why the hell should I care?  I was just looking for justification to have some wine here and there.  Take it for what it's worth.  Have some wine.  There are proven health benefits.  Just don't overdo it.

Another Reason This Blog Works
I was setting myself up for more success than I knew!  Ha!  Digitally augmented diets make you lose more weight, due to enhanced awareness.  According to a University of Pittsburgh study,  keeping track electronically of food intake, is not only better than not tracking at all, but better than using just a pen and paper.  Even recording your intake just once per month, made a difference in total weight lost!  Those who regularly monitored their intake, lost 63% more than those obese adults who didn't.  Here is a link to the research if you care to read more.  Very interesting stuff.  http://d-scholarship.pitt.edu/7185/1/helseld04152005.pdf

Cya tomorrow,
M

What I ate today and how I exercised:

Breakfast ~ 2 eggs scrambled with scallions and 2 chicken sausage links.  1 grilled tomato, dusted with garlic salt.

Mid Morning Treat ~ Large iced coffee with skim milk and 3 Splenda

Lunch ~ Baby arugula salad with walnuts, grilled chicken and an apple honey vinaigrette, on the side.

Dinner ~ Tom Yum soup with Chicken, 1 vegetarian roll and 1 California roll

Exercise ~ After taking off a pound of hair (don't I wish?), I walked the mall for 2 miles.

2 comments:

  1. I knew about the diet soda but didn't about the wine - yahoo!
    We have almost completely switched to seltzer when we want soda in our house - the flavoring is natural(so the label says) and it has really grown on us, and is guilt free!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanie,
    Thanks for the info on Kale. I am doing next Thursday's post on super foods and will include that info. Enjoy your Easter.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete