Thursday, July 19, 2012

Food Thursday: 07.19.12

Back in the beginning of June there was a big hubbub in the news about New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg's proposed ban on soda sales over 16 ounces.  I was going to write about this then, but decided to see what came of it before I weighed in on the subject.  I have heard little of it since, so I decided to get in the fray and give my two cents.  Let me first thumbnail-sketch the situation for those who either don't follow the news (that's usually me) and those who may not be in the tri-state area. Here's the poop on pop in The Big Apple.

Citing health concerns, Mayor Bloomberg has proposed legislation that would ban sugary carbonated beverages from being sold in sizes over a pint. There was much noise made by people on both sides of the debate, some feeling that their rights were being infringed upon by telling them what they can or can't do and others that understand that poor health affects us all, especially in the wallet. These days you cannot avoid all the buzz about healthcare and the degree of government's role in it. This idea for enforcing healthier habits cuts right to the root of the problem. Rather than subsidize more healthcare for an ever-ailing American population, Mayor Mike seeks to nip it in the bud and reduce a major source for obesity and diabetes. Take it away before it makes you sick and fat. I say bravo, Bloomberg!

A Cornell University professor has published an article saying that Bloomberg's approach is faulty.  Tell people what they can't have and they will want more of it.  I tend to agree with that.  I also like the concept.  If people will do things that are bad for them just to fly in the face of authority, then drink up, all you bubble guzzlers!  You know what I call that logic?  Thinning the herd.  


A better approach might be legislating the actual number of ounces you could put in any given size. By law, a small might be 8 oz., a medium 10, large 12 and call the 16 oz. and above the "You want insulin with that?" size.  There is the equivalent of 13 packets of sugar in 16 oz. of soda.  A 7 Eleven Big Gulp is 64 oz.  That's 52 packs of sugar in that bucket o'suds.


No matter how you slice it, soda is bad for you.  I like it.  I rarely drink it anymore, but I do like it.  In case you care, Diet Dr. Pepper is my favorite.  I think I have had maybe 3-4 diet sodas since I started this project and all of those were caffeine-free.  Honestly, I don't miss it.  I do sort of miss my Diet Peach Snapple, but c'est la vie.  The artificial sweeteners leave you wanting more and more sweet stuff and there is nothing natural in those soda cans other than, perhaps, water.  Here are some facts on soda for ya:






Think about this stuff next time you give Junior a Coke or hoist one yourself.  Personally I am okay with the very occasional soft drink, just like my occasional cigar.  Vices are just that: bad for you.  It feels good to live on the edge a little bit.  Yeah, that's me.  Joe Danger with the caffeine-free Diet Coke in his hands.  Chicks dig that.  


From some of the things I have read about this hot topic, I add to life's truths: You can't tell people how to raise their kids, mess with their guns, tell them they can't smoke and God forbid you try to take their Mountain Dew.


Cya Friday,
M


What I ate today and how I exercised:
Breakfast ~ Kashi Go Lean Crisp cereal w/banana and almond milk
Lunch ~ A little rotisserie chicken breast and some hot and sour soup
Dinner ~ A huge portion of sauteed veggies and some more chicken.  The veggies were broccoli, carrots, red bell pepper and scallions sauteed in a little canola oil and tossed with my own peanut teriyaki glaze.
Writing blog snack ~ 1 banana
Exercise ~ I'll jump on the treadmill for at least 20 minutes before bed.

4 comments:

  1. Never had soda growing up (a UK 60s 70s thing I suspect). still not much of a fan (I know I've told you my stupid vending machine story saved by my purchase of Bubba). A (aka the twig) dislikes anything carbonated so no issue there. The twins like soda but we seldom have it in the house. Maybe I should say no when we are out but not there yet. Love your thoughts and thrilled with your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your writing on this! As for the topic, I get where Bloomberg is going--when do we step in to address an epidemic regardless of how inocuous the substance is? But some Americans can be so aggressively stupid that they can't step back and recognize the lesson in the issue. Just raising the issue is a public service. I've never been a big soda fan (I like it with pizza) and am so happy that Aedan has announced that he is giving up soda because it just doesn't make him feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am pretty opposed to this type of government intervention but ya know what? If you want more, buy two and stop yer bytchin!

    Keep on keeping on bro!

    Mike from Lambda Mu

    ReplyDelete