Friday, July 20, 2012

The Power of Little Victories


I’ve recently written that I am in the middle of a great book called The Power of Habit.  I was wracking my brain last week trying to think of who told me about this.  Turns out it was my Aunt K.  She is one of the most nurturing and supportive people I know.  I can’t thank her enough for this recommendation.  This book is another affirmation that I am definitely on the right path.  There are so many aspects of the book that are already part of my routine.  One of the pieces to the puzzle is celebrating your small wins.

I am not shy about touting my successes on the way to 195 via this blog.  Last week it was being able to go without a seatbelt extension on a plane.  A few weeks ago it was getting past the minus 50 lb. mark.  Even something as small as fitting into a 3X shirt or walking a mile or two has been celebrated on these pages.  I do it for various reasons.  I want the world to know that I believe with all my heart and soul that anyone can get leaner and healthier without buying a book, paying for meal plans or even surgery, IF they use their innate abilities to make better choices.  These small wins are mounting evidence that it's a sound principle.  Also, I am damn proud of myself.  It feels good to succeed.  And, yeah, perhaps I am a bit of a braggart.  I have always been one for an “attaboy”.

Turns out there is another reason to celebrate small wins on the way to a goal.  By doing so, you get used to winning.  It becomes habitual.  You develop a need to succeed.  It becomes part of your M.O.  It also gives you a sense that the end goal is within your grasp and that keeps you motivated.  My next short term goal is to get under 300 lbs., then to 263.4 where I will be minus 100 lbs.  These steps along the way are milestones I need to highlight.  Each day I feel more and more like my self-esteem is greater and I am capable of so much more.  Plus, when I look at it in these terms, 195 doesn’t seem that far off.

I’ve never been one for making lists or setting goals.  I thought too little of myself to believe I could reach any goal.  I’m not sure what switch has been flipped, but I am driven to get to the next win.  I have unknowingly been reprogramming my firmware to be a more efficient, productive machine.  All via little chunks of a pretty big undertaking.

So celebrate your small wins en route to your destiny.  Crow about them.  Be proud.  Reward yourself with something as small as a pat on the back or a something even grander. Just do it in a healthy fashion.  Small victories fuel you along the way and propel you to the next waypoint.  These little things add up to major successes.  I am hoping there will be some celebrating this Monday.  Please join me to find out.

Cya Sunday,
M

What I ate today and how I exercised:
Breakfast ~ Kashi Go Lean Crisp w/banana, toasted pecans and almond milk
Lunch ~ A Gardenburger Chipotle Black Bean burger w/lite mayo on a multi-grain deli flat
Dinner ~ Soyboy Red Pepper Tofu Raviolis w/marinara sauce and lots of cauliflower sauteed w/garlic and a touch of EVOO
Exercise ~ 30 minutes on the treadmill

No comments:

Post a Comment