Friday, February 10, 2012

My Wife Tried to Kill Me On Oct. 10, 2008

I can almost hear her exclaiming as I write this, "I WASN'T TRYING TO KILL YOU!".  Of course she wasn't, but it felt like it at the time.  We were on our honeymoon in northern California wine country (my favorite place on earth by the way) and decided to visit the redwood forest of Muir Woods, just north of San Francisco.  If you haven't been you are truly missing an awe-inspiring place.  I thought it would be nice to let my tree-hugging new wife hug some big ass redwoods. Torture ensued.  We figured we would follow the trail that let to a nice scenic view of the Pacific through these immense specimens older than Algebra itself (created in 820AD...See? I knows stuff!).  When I asked how long that hike would be, I was told around 2 miles.  No problem.  Unfortunately for the fat guy trying to impress/please his new wife, this was up a steep rocky mountain, high 80 degree temps, and round trip was more like 7.5 miles.  By the time we reached the top, half way point mind you, I was soaked with sweat, wheezing like an asthmatic in a cigar lounge and my calves were screaming for mercy.  I will say the view was gorgeous and my Tabitha was totally enamoured with the vista. What I mostly saw was beads of sweat hitting the ground by my feet as I was hunched over, hands on thighs.

Downhill was perhaps worse than the climb.  Trying to maintain an upright posture with shins now in harmony with the calves, traversing rocky paths down the slope was perhaps one of the hardest things I have done physically ever.  Hence, Oct 10, 2008 goes down in infamy as the day my wife tried to kill me.  (I know you weren't honey.  Relax)

There is a point to this story being told here.  Yesterday I spoke of relative good health. My rationalizing mind says that I am capable of being as active as I want to be.  I just don't care to be all that active.  But my my desires are in direct proportion to my abilities.  If I truly take stock in things I would like to do, there are scores of activities I would love to experience with my wife and others that require far, far more stamina than I currently possess.  A lighter, leaner me would be so much more apt to go skiing, hiking, biking, play softball, take long walks without cramping legs, not be afraid of heavy breathing from taking the stairs in the presence of others, or exploring new cities aimlessly.  I so look forward to these things.  It will add to my life experience and build pride I previously thought unattainable.

What I ate today:
Breakfast ~ a big bowl of Multi Grain Cheerios w/ banana and decaf coffee w/2 Tbs 1/2 & 1/2
Lunch ~ miso soup, seaweed salad, a yellow tail scallion roll and a salmon avocado roll
Mid afternoon snack ~ Starbucks' Skinny Decaf Caffe Mocha (while writing this)
Dinner ~ a big bowl of delicious homemade minestrone

Tomorrow I will write about how our perceptions of how others view us and how we view ourselves affects our self-esteem.

Gig tonight, so posting this early.

Cya tomorrow and thanks for coming along with me,
M

No comments:

Post a Comment