Monday, February 13, 2012

Week 1 Weigh-in

Well, here we are.  The start of week 2 and this morning I had my first weigh-in.  I have very much been looking forward to this.  Something new for me.  I've always stepped on that bugger with trepidation, half expecting the readout to say something like "Weigh one person at a time, please." or "Jesus! Do you mind?!".  I have a set routine for this activity.  We "narrowness impaired" folk are very fastidious when doing something so scary as stepping on a scale.  First off, you don't eat or drink anything, EVER before weigh-in.  This is why it is done first thing in the morning.  Secondly, evacuate, aka lighten the load.  Delicate enough for ya?  Lastly, strip off everything.  Not even glasses or jewelry are worn.  Trim your toe nails and get a haircut if you have to.  This is in the fat person's manual and must be strictly adhered to.  Okay, so I don't trim my nails or spit before the process, but I do all the other things...and no, I don't have OCD.

I have had much success this past week.  I feel good.  I am not craving anything.  The devil on my shoulder seems to be on hiatus for the time being.  I will get into more about my psyche this Wednesday with a new weekly feature called, "What's in My Head Wednesdays".  Original, huh?
At the risk of being redundant, I would like to thank the many people who are on board with my idea for a public forum/support system.  I am blown away by the VERY personal stories messaged to me and I am happy to be part of your journey as well.  Together we can do this.  And to my wife Tabitha, you have been so very cognizant and respectful of my desire to do this my way and your ideas and offers of help are very much appreciated and welcome.  I can't do this without your buy-in and you get that.  Thanks, honey.

So down to business.  Last week I started this project and boldly announced to the world that I weighed a whopping 363.4 lbs.  I would have been okay with a loss of 5lbs after this hard work in week one.  The over/under for you betting folks was 8lbs and I was thinking right around there. I'll post a pic of the scale each week to fend off thoughts that I might be fudging.  SO, as of this morning, (drum roll, please) I now weight 350.4lbs.  Down exactly 13lbs. Yay me.  The old me would be tempted to celebrate such successes by indulging "just a little".  Those demons are insidious in the ways they try to undermine us, eh?  I plan on celebrating by having that gold star up there.  Also, just by staying the course while understanding that this was most likely the biggest drop I will see in a single week.   On to another day.

Cya tomorrow,
M

What I ate today:
Breakfast ~ Amy's Breakfast Burrito w/ 1 Tbs low fat sour cream and 2 Tbs chipotle salsa.  Decaf w/2 Tbs 1/2 & 1/2
Morning snack ~ Starbucks venti decaf skinny Mocha Caffe (for those who count, 200 calories in venti, 160 in grande, 100 in tall)
Lunch ~ Mu Shoo Basil roll and "pork" fried rice at Veggie Heaven in Denville, NJ.  The imitation pork is actually very good.
Dinner ~ Black Bean Chipotle burger on an English muffin, side salad of arugula with a green apple salad dressing.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! How wonderful, Mike! I've been silently pulling for you, but this is news to celebrate! I've been up again, down again, my whole life, and I know that dieting can be truly painful. I think you've found a great way to generate support, stay focused, and develop a few monitors out here to encourage you when you slip up. Keep it up... I'm thrilled for you! Best of luck this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much reading! This kind of feedback is a great motivator.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, Mike! That is wonderful!! I have been reading everyday - I must say you are also very eloquent in writing :)

    Continue to be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Thanks Linder. The writing has been great fun, I must say.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic!!! Keep up the good work. I relate to your blog and faithfully read it every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great start! I am so glad you have taken the step to get it under control.

    ReplyDelete