Sunday, February 26, 2012

And Don't Call Me Shirley...or Big Guy For That Matter

I’ll be taking a break from the “How Did I Get Here?” series and will likely get back to that on Tuesday, so today I will touch upon a couple of subjects.  I am thinking that, perhaps, Sundays might be dedicated to small tidbits that may not be fitting for an entire post, but are worth mentioning.  Maybe something like “Potpourri Sunday.”  I’m not married to the idea yet, but here are a couple of things that would fall into that category.

This one came to me as a result of a post-gig incident from a week ago Friday at The Publick House Restaurant (scene of the nasty fall I took on Thursday). We had a very good night and the small crowd of people were very much into it.  Tab and I were feeling pretty good about the evening.  After finishing their meal, one couple headed to the bar just five feet from their table.  They bellied up to the bar and listened to us for the remainder of the night over their cordials.  It’s a good feeling when folks stick around because of you.  Also, it’s good that the management notices these things.  As I was walking back into the bar from seeing Tab off to go home to tend to our furbabies, this guy cries out to me “Big Mike!”  I turned around expecting to see someone I might know.  It was still the same stranger that was enjoying our music; therefore, I was certainly in a mood to magnanimous.   I smiled and said “Hi.  Thanks for hanging out tonight.  We always appreciate it when people stick around to listen after dinner.”  What I wanted to say was, “Hey Buddy!  Do I call you 'Bald Fred' or ' Weed Whack Your Nose Hair Willie' or whatever your name is?” 
People really need to think before calling attention to the physical attributes of anyone, let alone a stranger.  It’s always been a pet peeve of mine when people call me ‘Big Guy’ or ‘Big Mike’.  We fat folk like to operate under the delusion that our girth is a well-kept secret and not known to the world at large (no pun intended).   So next time you are tempted to call someone ‘Big (insert rotund person’s name here)’, please pause and refrain.  Don’t burst our bubble.
Here is a quick thought that made me feel pretty good this week.  I was having dinner with a dear friend.  She told me that there was one night when she got home from work and just wanted to do takeout or get a pie instead of cooking.  The devil on her shoulder was trying to goad her into making a bad food decision when the ‘Mikey’ on her shoulder whispered for her to do the right thing.  (She is one of few people I will let call me ‘Mikey’ as I really am not a fan of the moniker.)  I was elated to know that I had somehow become the angel on her shoulder, motivating her to eat a healthy meal.  Who’da thunk it.
Cya tomorrow for weigh in #3,
M

What I ate today and how I exercised:
Breakfast ~ One egg scrambled with salsa on a whole wheat sandwich round
Lunch ~ I ate at Wegman’s in Bridgewater just before shopping for the week.  They have a nice sushi department and two things caught my eye.  One was a Chesapeake Roll, a roll with real lump crab meat, avocado and cucumber with Old Bay on the outside.  Lemon squeezed over it made it delicious.  The other was a delicious shrimp spring roll with avocado, Bib lettuce and sweet baby shrimp.  Both combined totaled around 500 calories.
Dinner ~ Homemade broccoli rabe and white bean soup.
Exercise ~ I walked the Rockaway Mall today, aside from a good deal of walking around Wegman’s pushing my veggie-laden shopping cart.  The mall walk came in at 1.1 miles according to my new nifty fitness watch.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post, Mike. It made me realize that I have probably been "that guy" from time to time. I never meant it in the way it may have been received, but that doesn't really matter. I'll be more aware going forward...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll redouble on Kip's post... I use "boss" "tough guy" "big guy" "chief" and other such nicknames as a matter of unconscious routine... so if I have used it with you, know it was not an attempt at irony or humor. I have been, and will be more aware of it, though.
    KK

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no recollection of either of you guys calling me that, but if you did, my deep admiration of you overrode any ill feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike I am back on Weight Watchers and I must say I think of you often as my motivator! Great seeing you yesterday. I had to laugh when you described your new watch, only because Anthony is the kind of person that always has an electronic gadget to go with every part of his life :)
    Continued good luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joan, great seeing you and the family. You put a big smile on my face this morning knowing that what I am trying to do here is helping more than just me. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete