Sunday, February 19, 2012

Resolve is My Umbrella When it's Raining Temptation

I knew that when I decided to do something about my addiction that I would have to make some drastic changes in all aspects of my life.  With any addiction, they experts say you need to stay away from people, places and things that trigger bad behavior.  I have mentioned my passion for wine.  I have quite a collection that I would like to enjoy as it reaches its ultimate maturity.  What’s the best way to enjoy wine?  With delicious food, of course.  I also watch a lot of food-oriented television.  I love the Food Network, Top Chef, Hell’s Kitchen or anything geared toward fellow foodies.
Being in outside sales, I drive past a gagillion opportunities per week to get off course.   I get into my car and it’s like the sun went down and I turned into Count Snackula.  Today I saw that Burger King is selling Cinnabon.  Come on, universe!  Gimme a break!  Two-for-one chicken sandwiches to boot?  It’s not easy for me to resist temptation.  I know too many of you feel the same way.  TV commercials are becoming increasingly harder to watch.  There are demonic people at work in the food labs of major corporations developing food crack targeted at my piehole.  I have to want my new life more than a gooey cinnamon roll or some fried piece of inferior chicken with bacon on it.  That’s one of the reasons I gave up meat altogether for the month of February; it takes out of play the fast food fare and helps me build my resolve in the initial stages.  And it’s working.  Planning and preparation are key to successful weight loss.  So getting up early enough to have breakfast at home, knowing exactly what I will do for lunch before I leave the house and knowing what raw ingredients I have on hand to make a healthy dinner are essential.
On a different subject, I’d like to address my writing.  I put about an hour a day into this from subject prep to writing and, honestly, a lot of proofreading.  Unfortunately, I wasn’t an English major in school and even after going over each post about six times, plenty of flaws can be found.  So for those of you out there who find such missteps and cringe, I am sorry.  I do try.  I imagine Heidi (a big time, real-life editor), also Stacey and Tabitha, reading through my blogs and, perhaps, shaking their heads.  Just know an effort was put in to make my thoughts as coherent as possible. Hopefully, the real message comes through clear enough.
Cya for weigh in #2 on Monday,
M
What I ate today:
Breakfast ~ Kashi Island Vanilla cereal w/ toasted almonds, a banana and Almond Vanilla Silk
Lunch ~ Carrots with roasted red pepper hummus.
Afternoon snack ~ An absolutely HUGE organic Honeycrisp apple
Dinner ~ (Pictured above) Whole wheat pasta with artichoke hearts, roasted red pepper, cannelini beans for protein, fresh peas and a sauce made from the braising liquid from last night's fennel side dish.  This was flippin' delicious!


2 comments:

  1. Every professional writer benefits from an editor. I say that as a writer who has 3 books published! You make precious few mistakes (have you read other blogs???). I cringe at my blog mistakes, too, but it's the nature of the beast. It's difficult to self edit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Megan! I had no idea you were published. Very cool indeed.

    ReplyDelete