Wednesday, February 29, 2012

It's What's in My Head Wednesday

Welcome back to another WIMHW!  These are a few things on my mind that I would like to share with you.  I just finished walking at the mall and I am feeling pretty good about myself.  Yesterday's walk was skipped because of my bad back and I decided there would be no excuses today.  I was in some discomfort while walking and really wanted to quit, but as I was finishing, I decided I could go another quarter mile to help supplement yesterday’s shortfall.  Not long ago, I would have made an excuse not to go at all today.  Those days are gone.  Now on to other things in my head before I hurt my arm patting myself on the back.

I’d like to shout out to bloggergirl45, SDVB, CA, MS, JM, AI and all of the others that have contacted me and told me that they are renewing their efforts toward better health and following the blog.  You all can do this!  I am happy we are all traveling along this road together and I am proud you are along for the ride.
My Aunt H, one of the smartest and most insightful people I know, gave me invaluable feedback on the blog.  She posed a few questions that I will cover in upcoming posts, but today I will address one in particular.  What makes this time different than other times I have tried to lose weight and keep it off?  In the last few days since her email a lot of thought was given to this.  I knew I had an unfamiliar resolution for success this time, but why?
I believe there are several factors contributing to this resolve.  One is that I want a better life for my wife and me.  While she had never pressured me to lose the weight, she certainly wanted me to be healthier.  I owe that much to her, to us, but most importantly; to myself.  Another reason is that in the past I have always attempted to fit myself into someone else’s methods or programs.  This time, this is all about me.  My methods, based on my knowledge and developing something that fits my life.  I suppose it’s an amalgamation of all those systems with my own spin.  And of course, you all to keep me going.  That is one key difference.  You are, in effect, my sponsors.
Thirdly, and I want you to forgive me for this one, I have long felt that I am an exceptional individual.  I think I am smart, capable, talented and affable.  Traits that will take anyone far in life.  Now that might sound a tad conceited, but I need to believe in myself.  And up to this moment, I have been lax in living up to my potential.  The time has come for me to not think I am exceptional person, but to be that person.  I am finding it hard to think of a single area in my life that won’t be drastically improved by achieving this goal. That H, is why things will be different this time.
The last thing on my mind, this leap day, is that tomorrow is March 1.  I had decreed certain restrictions that were for the month of February and to be reviewed moving forward.  I gave up alcohol for the month of February.  That will continue through March.  I abstained from caffeine for this jumpstart period.  I will continue to do so for the indefinite future.   Another method I used to pull weight off early and get the maximum amount of vegetables in me, was to give up meat, except for fish.  While I do not crave meat at this time, I feel that for long term success, for me, I need a little more variety and flexibility in my eating repertoire.  I plan on having occasional lean meats inserted into my menus.  Perhaps, chicken once or twice a week, lean red meat once or twice a month.  The Stop ‘n Shop sells these petite 100 calorie steaks I have had in my freezer.  I can use those to mix things up a bit.  I’ll continue to limit dairy and eggs to small amounts as well.
Oh, and the proofreader is studying tonight.  I’m flying solo.
Cya tomorrow for cooking Thursday,
M
What I ate today and how I exercised:
Breakfast ~ Un-turkey pita sandwich and 1 grapefruit mixed with blueberries
Lunch ~ Panera again, as I was traveling with someone today on business.  Tomato soup and ½ a Caesar salad with salmon
Mid-afternoon snack ~ Decaf skinny caffe mocha
Dinner ~ A huge salad with a can of tuna and red wine vinaigrette.
Exercise ~ 1.25 miles, walked at the mall

2 comments:

  1. Weighed in at weight watchers. Down 1.4 lbs. I was a little disappointed but I remembered I went to a party on Saturday and had a gin and tonic and a few bites of a cupcake from the House of Cupcakes. so far in 20 days I am down 7.4lbs. Today I ate 1 pack of benavita breakfast biscuits for breakfast. One pack for lunch, and a grilled chicken wrap for dinner. Keep up your good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Progress is progress Chris! 1.7 lbs. is healthy progress at taht. Congrats! If you can, get some more fruits and veggies in ya.

    ReplyDelete