Thursday, March 1, 2012

I'm Down With B.P.M.C., Yeah You Know Me


Cooking Thursdays is a favorite of mine. It lets me write about something else that I am really passionate about. Hopefully, the info I am passing along is helpful to both those on a quest to be healthier and those who just like to cook. Last week I listed some things that I find indispensible in the kitchen. This week I would like to speak about something that I love to use as an ingredient and is not only healthy and delicious, but easy to find anywhere. 
It’s been said that one thing that sets the food of fine restaurants apart from most good home cooks is the use of fresh herbs. Fresh herbs add a brightness and taste component that elevates even the simplest of dishes. My exposure to what a leafy piece of goodness can do started with my dad. Being the good Italian that he was, he always grew tomatoes, zucchini, mint and basil in our backyard. The tomatoes usually wound up in salads and the zucchinis in ratatouille or some sort of zucchini bread.
The herbs are what bring back the fondest of memories. Often in our fridge and ALWAYS in my Grandma Accardi’s fridge was mint iced tea. She would brew Lipton tea with stalks of the mint from her garden and put it in emptied milk cartons in the fridge. There is nothing like it on a hot summer’s day and I still make it myself in the warmer months. Another great use for the mint is at the BBQ. In a mortar and pestle, mash a fresh tomato with 3 cloves of garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Then use a bunch of fresh mint as a brush to baste the mixture on grilled chicken or beef. It is divine. The subtle minty notes coupled with the garlic and tomato are like no other sauce you can find. Some grilled chicken breast with this glazed on is worthy company.
Basil is one of my favorite things on the planet. My dad would slice that basil into ribbons (aka a chiffonade) and just sprinkle it over a dish of pasta. I love it over my hearty minestrone and also throw some fresh leaves in a salad, make pesto, or just with good fresh tomatoes, some balsamic and olive oil. If I had to give up basil, I would be one cranky bastard.

At the very least, always keep some fresh Italian parsley on hand. Put it in a glass of water in the back of the fridge and it will keep longer. Just put some chopped parsley over soups, stews or any hot dish and it will make your favorites sing even more. For Asian, Indian or Mexican dishes, the same holds true for Cilantro.

The bottom line is we need to eat good-tasting, healthy food to lose weight and keep us from getting bored with our eating. Fresh herbs with make you feel like you’ve had a 3-star chef prepare your meal and help you enjoy slimming down all the more. For an added flair, eat off of your good china in the dining room. We do.
Cya tomorrow,
M 
What I ate today and how I exercised:

Breakfast ~ Amy’s burrito with 1 Tb fat-free Greek yogurt and salsa. A fresh fruit salad of pink grapefruit and blueberries.
Lunch ~ Un-Turkey pita pocket and a cup of vegetable broth
Mid-afternoon snack ~ Dark chocolate (70% cacao and higher) is tasty and full of antioxidants. One square of Endangered Species Dark Chocolate w/Cranberries & Almonds (available at Whole Foods) is just 50 calories. If you can’t stop at one, don’t eat this. I can. J
Dinner ~ Roasted Fennel and Tomato Soup with Chick Peas (link to recipe below) and 3 oz. of broiled salmon with piquillo pepper sauce (also linked below) and toasted sliced almonds. DELICIOUS!

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/roasted-fennel-tomato-soup-50400000119704/

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/grilled-portobellos-filled-with-wild-rice-almond-pilaf-and-piquillo-pepper-vinaigrette-recipe2/index.html (Use half the oil. It’s still great and you only drizzle a little. Eat this on anything you like. Even as a salad dressing.)

Exercise ~ 1.33 miles at the mall


3 comments:

  1. Mike, please consider going back to the regular sized font - this was really difficult to read. Worth reading, but a strain on these old eyes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Kip. The interface here is kind of clunky and this was done in error. Should it happen again, may I suggest zooming your browser 25%. That should help. Thanks for reading and I am sorry for the eye strain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me tell 'ya, that soup was DEE-licious!! -Tabitha

    ReplyDelete