Saturday, March 3, 2012

Pardon Me Mr. Steinbeck

The best-laid plans of Mike and men often go awry.  That is the case with today’s blog.  The planned fourth installment of “How Did I Get Here?” will take a bit more writing time than I have today.  I guess you could say the plan was very well laid after all.
Instead, I’ll take some time to address something about the blog that, although no one has questioned, I thought might be of some paradox to the regular reader.  In my “Welcome” post, I spoke of the things that would be the tenets of my eating regimen.  One of those core principles was that I wasn’t going to count calories.  And that is absolutely the case.  I hear you ask, “Then why, Mike, do you list calories for many of the items you eat?”  Well, Grasshopper, it is fairly simple.  I do it for two reasons.  One reason is that I do want to be aware of what it is I take in and have a rough idea of what’s too much, but sometimes items can look like calorie-laden traps when, in fact, made correctly, they are healthy.  Last night’s gnocchi dinner was a good example.  That is why I list the caloric intake.  So I can explain to the readership that my choices are in keeping with the course I have plotted.
The second reason that I list calories at times is that many of you out in cyberspace are, in fact, on Weight Watchers or other programs and do keep track of your daily caloric intake.  If those folks would like to try some of what I am dining on, they can know what it is they are in for.
I am a believer that if I make the right choices between fruits/vegetables, proteins, fats, carbs, etc. that the calories will fall into place.  My best guess is that I have been taking in about 1200-1500 a day.  That’s just a guess, but I feel great and the weight is shedding.  Who could ask for more?
Cya tomorrow,
M
What I ate and how I exercised today:
Breakfast ~ Nature’s Path Pumpkin Flax Raisin Bran w/Rice Milk
Lunch ~ Mixed greens salad with cannellini beans, tuna and balsamic vinaigrette
Dinner ~ 3.5 oz. of broiled chicken breast with the piquillo pepper sauce, toasted sliced almonds and steamed broccoli with a touch of lemon and olive oil
Exercise ~ 1.3 miles around the lake with the wife

2 comments:

  1. OK... I just found out about your blog on FaceBook... Don't know how I missed it before... But happy to have found it and offer my support... I don't know if I will keep up every day, but will keep trying to check in and give support. I admire you tremendously, my friend... and wish you success... Having topped 200 myself, well I can't say that I decided to do something about it.., it was my wife who said "I'm doing the South Beach Diet are you with me!?" pretty much as an offer that I could'nt refuse... So here I am in the middle of stage 1... Not reading the book, making minimal investment other than not eating the carbs and fruit for 2 weeks, and hating almost every minute... I love bread and I love fruit... But, none-the-less, becoming more aware of what I eat and thinking about it more... So even if I walk away from South Beach... I may have learned a skill and disclipline that may serve me. How's that for tentative! Today, I attended a Bat Mitzvah, surrounded by bread and fruit... I had Hummus and celery... and water... And more Hummus and celery... And water... I was proud of myself... Next week, another Bar Mitzvah.. It won't be as easy... We'll see... My goal is to get back to 150 or 145...

    Anyway, you write beautifully... I have enjoyed the entries that I have read, and after knowing you for over 35 years... Learning how much I don't know!

    Good luck, Little Brother!

    --Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million, brother. I applaud your new found resolve to get to 150(oy! 150!?). Be sure to mix it up somewhat with what you are eating. As soon as you grow bored of celery and hummus you will stray. Trust me. It ain't gonna take long. One thing I liked when I did the South Beach thing was the ricotta desserts. The recipe should be in there. It tastes like you are cheating but is totally in the plan.

      Enjoy the Bat Mitvah and thanks for reading!
      ~Mike
      PS: My wife is going to read this as and say "See? That man knows how to use a comma!" :)

      Delete