Sunday, March 11, 2012

A.L.O.E. 03/11/2012

Welcome to A.L.O.E. (A Little Of Everything) for this Sunday.  Just small bites of info, witticisms and observations too small for a full post.

Life of Riley

My dog Riley (pictured here) is actually smarter than I am.  Lately, he has gotten into the habit of just eating how much he wants and only when he is hungry.  We will put out food for him three times daily, as we always have, but he'll only eat when and if he feels like it.  If there is too much on the plate, Riley will only eat until he is full.  Smart dog.  How did this 18 month old pooch figure out what took me 48 years?  A conversation with Tabitha and I the other day went like this... 

Tabitha: Michael, you can't leave the Riley's unfinished food plate on the floor when he is done eating.
Mike: He'll come back to it when he is hungry.
Tabitha: It is growing bacteria!  You can't just leave it out!
Mike:  The freakin' dog eats poo for chrissake!  Leave it there until he wants more!

The food got put away in the fridge.  She always wins.

The Bodies

Tabitha has gone back to school and is currently taking human biology.  A requirement for the class is that she attends an exhibit in NYC called, "The Bodies".  If you haven't heard of this before, it is actual human bodies that have been dissected, plasticized and displayed.  You see EVERYTHING, inside and out.  Very interesting and very educational.  Looking at both diseased and healthy organs side-by-side with healthy ones is eye opening.  Given my recent epiphany about my health, I certainly looked at the display with much more interest and certainly, more optimism about my changed ways.  Knowing what could have happened to me (or already start to?) had I continued on my former path of smoking and living to eat will stick with me for years to come.  I highly recommend you visit this attraction in lower Manhattan.  It makes you want to be more caring of your body.

Feelin' Good

At the end of this week (I think of Mondays as the start of the new week were this project is concerned), I feel very good about what I accomplished this week and for once I look forward to weigh-in tomorrow.  As of today, I am only .25 miles from the goal of 7.7 I set for myself this week and my eating has been on target for 5 full weeks now.  Life is good and looking better all the time.

Cya for weigh-in tomorrow,
M

What I ate today and how I exercised:

Breakfast ~ Kashi Island Vanilla cereal w/ 1/2 a banana and Vanilla Almond Silk
Lunch ~ Brown Rice California Roll and fennel, Mandarin orange salad
Afternoon treat ~ My 200 calorie Chocolate Banana Shake (see yesterday's blog of recipe)
Dinner ~ Huge salad of mixed greens with cannellini beans, tuna and artichoke hearts in a red wine vinaigrette.
Exercise ~ Walking through NYC and shopping today logged about .4 miles.  Weekly total so far is about 7.5 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment