Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Time Flies When You Are Having None

It’s hard to believe that it’s already been a month since I embarked on my new lifestyle.  If you are new here, no, it’s not about a middle-aged man who suddenly realizes his sexual preferences have changed…not that there’s anything wrong with that.  It was one month ago today that I started this blog about my food addiction and my goal to reach 195 healthy pounds by the time I reach fifty on 1/12/2014.  A lofty goal for someone who once tipped the scales at almost 500 lbs.

One whole month since I ate red meat, had alcohol, knowingly consumed caffeine (and you call yourself a barista, Consuelo), or ate any unhealthy food for that matter.  In the month since I started this project I have certainly been tempted to eat a burger or get a slice, grab a Snickers bar or something fried, perhaps have a real beer or a cabernet, always fleetingly asking myself, “Who’ll know?  The devil on my shoulder does live with me daily.   But always the answer comes back, “Once you cross that line and lie to people that read your blog, you can never go back.”, or “Is this moment of gluttony worth it?”  The answer invariably is, “No” or I tell myself, “Oh, yeah!  I don’t do that anymore.”
I’m a pretty lucky guy to have come to this realization that food was pretending to be my friend, when, in fact, it was killing me, ruining my chance for a truly happy life.  If you struggle with addiction, whatever your poison, ask yourself that last question, “Is it worth it?”  If you find the strength to be honest with yourself, the answer is always “No.”
One thing I have noticed is that the overall process of what to eat and how much to eat is truly becoming second nature.  The lifestyle is taking hold.  Remember, diets have a failure rate in the high 90% range.  A new lifestyle is what I am crafting.  And, honestly, I’m kinda diggin’ it.
Some highpoints of the last month to close out tonight’s post.  I traveled with a colleague last week and he drove.  His Volvo’s seatbelts were always an adversary of mine.  Always too small.  I’ve written of my humiliation with this scenario in the past.  Well, let me tell you that sucker was a tad snug, but it fit.  I could click it without feeling like a sausage that was tied off in the middle.  No feeling mortified that day in the dreaded Volvo.  Just me feeling, well, normal. 
Another highlight was my wife telling me that my pants were getting too big.  Thanks for noticing, honey.  I could list a few more, but one last one smile-inducing situation to mention.  I have had several people that do not know of my quest for fitness tell me that I look thinner.  They can see it in my face, or neck or wherever.  Hearing that is truly a gift.
What I ate today and how I exercised:
Breakfast ~ Nature’s Path Pumpkin Flax Raisin Bran w/ Vanilla Almond Silk
Lunch ~ Amy’s Southwest Black Bean Burrito w/1Tbs fat-free Greek yogurt (a la sour cream) and 2 Tbs salsa
Afternoon treat ~ Starbucks’ Skinny Decaf Mocha
Dinner  ~ 2 eggs, scrambled with roasted peppers and a HUGE mixed green salad with spinach, artichoke hearts, carrots, sprouts, cucumber, radishes and tomato in a red wine vinaigrette
Exercise ~ 1.75 miles at the mall

4 comments:

  1. How man mall laps is that? what mall?

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you taking photos at intervals? before/after? Not saying you should, but just curious...even if for your eyes only.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, Rhe Rockaway Mall is just over 1 mile of you walk every nook and cranny.

    YMT, I am not. I never liked photo's of myself and I could easily find it demotivating. Some might not, but I know myself. I'll be posting at milestones of 300, 275, 250, 225, 200 and goal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK not succeeding with my Sunday suggestion... must be having a CRI moment. I've researched the problem... Googled "miscellaneous".... my process jones satisfied, I can suggest "Kitchen Sink Sundays".... (sorry it's the best I can do)

    Keep up the great work bro. Luv ya.

    Brother Bill

    ReplyDelete