Friday, March 16, 2012

How Did I Get Here?: Part 5

In Part 4, I left us at the tail end of the 90’s.  I had newfound friends that are still a very big part of my life and was getting out more.  I was also increasing the amount of water I could displace in a swimming pool, at record speed.  I had gone from big to huge.  One of my new friends, “T”, was so much like me that we instantly clicked. 

“T” and I shared a love of food, wine, music, poker and much, much more.  We were practically inseparable.  The problem was that what we did mostly was eat.  We would look for new and interesting places to stuff ourselves silly.  If “T” found a new place he liked, we were there in double-time.  I remember one such outing was at an all-you-can-eat sushi place in the city.  I was gorged on every kind of sashimi, hand roll, maki roll, drum roll, whatever. I then waited for my two pals, “T1”&”T2”, to finish their gluttony.  It was an additional hour before they were done.  Oofah!  Those boys could eat!  But that wasn’t the end.  We had to go to the new Krispy Kreme that opened up, as well.  “Make sure you get them as soon as they go through the waterfall of icing, so they’re hot.”, “T” instructed the paper-hatted lackey behind the counter.  We got 2 dozen airy sugar bombs and a container of milk and plopped ourselves down to induce the glycemic coma.  If it wasn’t outings like that, it was The Manor for the Grand Seafood Buffet, or a favorite pizza place, or a hot dog cart in Newark at 1AM.  It got totally out of hand.  On a happier note, “T”’s family took me in as one of their own.  I was dining at their house four to five nights a week and it was for their company above all.  I love them all dearly and consider them my family to this day.  I recall being at “T”’s house to ring in the new year of 2000.  I wasn’t aware then that I would continue to spiral downward toward rock bottom and my life would have significant challenges ahead.
My weight was skyrocketing.  My self-esteem was plummeting.  I went out less because I was ashamed of the way I looked.  One of “T”’s friends asked me to be in his wedding in May of 2000.  I knew and had hung out with “C” a good deal, but I wouldn’t consider us close friends.  To be asked to be in his wedding took me off guard.  Hell, I wouldn’t have been offended not to be invited to the wedding, let alone be in it.  I thought that he must’ve needed to fill out the groom’s side to match the bridesmaids, so I accepted.  I was honored to be asked.  Tuxedo fitting was the first thing I dreaded.  “T” was a big man, but I was wondering if they could even find something in my size.  Well, they could special order something, they told me and they could add a panel to the back of a shirt to shroud my considerable waist.  The tux was a size 72.  Oh my God!  What the hell was I doing to myself!?!
The other thing I was concerned about was standing during the ceremony.  I didn’t do too well on my feet for anything more than a few minutes.  The ceremony came and I was in agony.  Even standing ten minutes at a clip was torturous for me, not to mention kneeling at church.  My best guess was that I was approaching 400lbs. back then.  My best guess would have been wrong too.  I must’ve been much more.  I wouldn’t know how much more until ten months later when I could finally get on a scale that could accommodate me.  I supposed I could’ve gone to a truck stop to tip their scales.  I had it worked out in my head.  Drive up to the scale and weigh it.  Get out of the car.  Weigh it again.  Subtract the difference.  Of course I was only kidding when I would say this in a self-deprecating manner.  I really didn’t want to know.  I am sure the food addiction convinced me I was better off that way.
During this time of my life there was so much going on.  I had developed sleep apnea and was in severe crisis from lack of sleep.  So much so that would fall asleep at the wheel frequently, fall asleep at my desk constantly, and even get delusional during conversations as if I was narrating a dream that had crossed over into the semi-waking hours. The shit that would come out of my mouth sometimes scared me.  It was nonsensical at best.  I was always half asleep and incoherent.  It almost cost me my job and worse, I could have killed someone on the road, if not myself.  I finally had a sleep study done and was formally diagnosed.  This was the small first step toward the much improved life I would make for myself in the new millennium.
In February of 2000 my father was suddenly very ill.  Out of nowhere, this hale and hearty man was stricken with renal carcinoma... kidney cancer.  I moved back home with my parents to help care for him during this time, always hopeful he could recover and lead a normal life.  Alas, that wasn't to be.  It was quite trying and hard to watch.  Just trying to pitch in around the house, do yard work and go to doctor’s appointments was very difficult given my limited mobility.  But I soldiered on for Dad’s sake.  For Mom’s sake as well.  Despite the best doctors and aggressive treatment, he was taken from us on September 9th of that year in the makeshift hospital room of our dining room.  I think of him every day and miss him dearly.  I am actually welling up a bit just writing about this.  This course of events would send me deeper into a self-abusive relationship with food.  I would hide myself away in my apartment for the next four to five months, just me and my poison. I think I put on at least fifty pounds that year.  It must’ve been hard for my loved ones to watch a bad situation get worse.
Join me next time for the biggest (pun not intended) revelation up to that point in my life.  It was brought to me by an unlikely savior…Carnie Wilson.
Cya next time,
M
What I ate and how I exercised:
Breakfast ~ Amy’s breakfast burrito
Lunch ~ A big salad of baby romaine, red onion, carrots, sliced filet mignon (left over from last night) and toasted pumpkin seeds in a homemade chipotle lime dressing.  I’ll post the recipe to this delicious salad dressing next week.
Dinner ~ Whole wheat pasta in a light broth w/veggies
Exercise ~ 2 miles around the lake.
*Update ~ Last night’s dinner was a huge success for me.  At a fine steakhouse, I managed to eat well and sensibly.  I had a lightly dressed Caesar salad (after all, it was the ides of March), a petite filet mignon (10oz, of which I ate around half) and grilled asparagus.  Decaf, in lieu of dessert.  I was intending on walking 1 mile when I got home and didn’t count on rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment