Sunday, March 4, 2012

This & That Sunday

“This & That Sunday” is the working title of the Sunday theme.  One problem, though; I hate this name.  So I am calling on you folks to comment (here in the blog, please) and come up with a good title for this weekly segment.  It should be something that conveys that it is bits and pieces of info.  Basically several short topics in one day.  Let the comments begin!

Kabocha?  You betcha!
I know I have mentioned this before, but I love kabocha squash.  And likely you will, too.  It can also be found as Japanese pumpkin and buttercup squash.  Treat it as you would any other winter squash such as acorn, butternut, or spaghetti squashes.  Kabocha’s orange flesh is very sweet with a hint of canteloupiness.  Are you paying attention, Merriam-Webster?  I just invented a new word; canteloupiness.  Send the royalty checks to...
Kabocha is one of those oft-touted ‘superfoods’.  It is rich in beta carotene, with iron, vitamin C, potassium and smaller traces of calcium, folic acid and minute amounts of B vitamins. Yes, I know you have read this from me before, but I can’t get enough of this stuff.  Tonight we ate it in a green curry sauce over rice.  Tomorrow I’ll roast what I didn’t use tonight to further enhance its sweetness.  The Sofa King says it’s good, so you know it’s Sofa King good! (Say it fast enough and it’s kinda crass.  But funny! hehe)

I’m Walkin’ Here!
Someone asked me what I do to motivate myself other than the blog.  I had to ponder that for a bit because the blog has taken over a big part of my life and the emails and Facebook messages are a tremendous source of inspiration and motivation.  Today I realized that my daily walking is actually motivating. The walking isn’t motivating, per se, (to be honest it kinda sucks), but the feeling of accomplishment makes me want to do more.  I NEVER thought I would say that!  I want to see that scale move on Mondays and I know walking is going to help.  So maybe it’s the scale motivating me?  Who knows?  I’m just happy to be keeping up with it so far.
This past Sunday I set a goal for myself to walk 7 miles this week.  I came close enough to call this one a win.  Today I walked 1.8 miles at the mall, bringing the weekly total to 6.78 miles.  I cannot wait for the warmer weather.  Walking at the mall is sort of like that old O.J. Simpson commercial for Hertz car rentals.  The mall is an obstacle course of rude people, tiny Japanese ladies trying to push their  toothpicked teriyaki chicken, baby carriages and kids running amok with apathetic parents who I would like to smack.  See?  Just like O.J.  Except I’m a short, fat white guy, without a briefcase and I ain’t running or jumping over nothing.  By the end of my walks, I am so tired and my feet so heavy I’m lucky not to trip over some whiny kid’s blankie as he’s throwing a hissy fit on the mall floor.  Well, all that and I have yet to kill anyone.  But an apathetic parent with unruly kids might be my first victim.
Weigh-in #4 tomorrow.
Cya then,
M
What I ate today and how I exercised:
Breakfast ~ One egg, one Morningstar Farm’s Mushroom Lovers Veggie Burger (Not my fave. Won’t be buying them again.) on a 7-Grain English Muffin w/some sautéed mushrooms and onions
Lunch ~ Roasted fennel and tomato soup and one brown rice, shrimp California roll
Post-walk snack ~ One pink grapefruit
Dinner ~ Kabocha, baby!  In a green curry sauce with baked tofu, over rice
http://www.house-foods.com/tofu/Recipes_detail.aspx?id=186

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mi-sunday-laneous.
    Pieces of (W)eight.
    Tabitha Sabbatha.
    Kitchen Soup.
    All-You-Can-Read Buffet.
    Nothing Rhymes With Smorgasbord.
    The Column A & Column B Column.
    Mike is Like a Box of Chocolates (you never know what you're gonna git!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Harriet. I like it! It may not play in middle America, but we N.J. know what it means.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what time do you walk?? I thought I heard that the malls open early for "mall walkers" before the actual stores...the weather is getting nicer, so, you'll have more options. My biggest issue about walking is just getting outside.. and then being of the "instant gratification" generation, (sort of).. I wish that first time out was more productive. In 3 years I did 4 sprint triathlons, (1/2mile swim, 10 mile bike, 3 mile run/walk) It was great motivation.. but once i finished, back on the couch I go. Keep it up, don't stop, cuz its sooo hard to start back up again.
    mary ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. I generally go late in the day to the mall, but sometimes my changing schedule necessitates more peak hours. As stated above it's rough sometimes. Thanks for the comments and the encouragement, Mary Ann,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Following your thinking, a title to appeal to the west-coast: "Dim Sum"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello peeps! Thanks for all of the suggestions. I cannot express enough thank yous for the thought put into things. I have come up with a title for Sunday posts. They'll be called A.L.O.E. (A little of everything.)
    Thanks for reading the blog,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete