Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Day Two

First off, I am truly humbled by the outpouring of support from both those I know and some I have not yet had the pleasure.  When a pang strikes, I think about you all and push through.  Only day two, but this addiction is hardwired in my brain and there are already pangs to stray. Thanks folks.  The project is working already.

Let me paint a picture for you about my typing this post, all cozy on my couch with slumbering dogs at my feet, a steaming cup of coffee set next to the laptop.  Truth be told, the coffee is now decaf with some Vanilla Almond Silk in it (good on cereal, coffee...not so much).  The dogs are being whiny pains in the ass and my back is screaming in pain from pulling it last Friday.  I am however on the couch.

I'll lay out for you here my intentions for the kick-start month of February.  This isn't necessarily the long term program for my food regimen, but something I wanted to do to get a running start in the weight loss department.  Notice I didn't use the "D" word in the last sentence.  What I am attempting here is a lifestyle change.  Not a diet.  Diets have the success rate of the Patriots against the Giants.  I mentioned my decaf above.  One of the things I will wean myself from is caffeine.  Maybe not for good but at least for February.  I am also not indulging in alcohol.  Alcohol for me is often an invitation to give in to temptation of food.  I am also giving up, you guessed it...temptation.

This next one may be hard for some of you to get your head around and you will say "I couldn't do that", but I am, FOR FEBRUARY, going vegetarian.  Vegetarian should be restated I guess.  I'll call it "Ovolacto Piscetarian".  I will eat eggs and dairy in moderation, and very occasionally fish.  My wife Tabitha being a vegan, I suppose it is easier for me than most to give up meat.  We have no one else in the house that would eat it, and besides, goign without doesn't give me wiggle room to justify a hamburger minus the cheese or any other flawed logic that can easily steer me off course.  So for February, lots of veggies. It's a good month for soup.  Also some grains here and there.  Bread and pasta aren't out of the question but I am trying to limit them.   Overall I am not counting calories.  I am trying to eat smart and nourish my body with tasty food.  I may find some things I don't like, such as Silk in my coffee, but I will at least try them and let you know what I think.

My plan is to weigh myself on Monday mornings. Be sure to check Monday's blogs if you are keeping score of how I'm doing in that department. I'll fill you in on size changes as things progress as well.

What I ate today:
Breakfast ~ Multi-grain Cheerios with Vanilla Almond Silk
Mid Morning Snack ~ Odwalla Sweet and Salty Almond Bar (note to self, there are smarter choices)
Lunch ~ Seaweed salad, a California Roll, and a few slices of tomato because I just wanted something more.  I didn't feel sated.
Mid Afternoon Snack ~ Tall Decaf Skinny Vanilla Latte. ( I wanted something in the car and opted for something as innocuous as I could.  More on the car eating another day.)
Dinner ~ African Stew and some raw veggies with hummus.  What is African Stew? It's a concoction of veg broth, sweet potatoes, rice, chick peas, peanut butter and other stuff.  Yeah peanut butter.  And this shit is delicious.  Don't be judgin' yo!

Well now that I am done writing, the dogs are indeed slumbering and the Aleve has kicked in for my back pain.  The coffee however, still sucks. 

Cya tomorrow

5 comments:

  1. I love me some african stew! I miss tab's crazy culinary concoctions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you taking the reigns of your life and directing (or driving) it in the direction you want instead of having "it" lead you. Good for you and I'll be here cheering you on!! I love you mt friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I had some friends a long time ago from Ghana who would make me peanut butter soup, only it had meat in it too. It was sooooo good. I wonder if your African Soup is the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Husky, email me at thedriveto195@gmail.com and I will gladly send you the recipe.

    ReplyDelete