Monday, February 20, 2012

Progress is Progress

Week 2 comes to a close and a new one begins.  The call of exercise is even louder as the weight loss slows.  I knew week 1 was the initial jumpstart and never expected I would see anything even close to the 13 lbs that were shed.  And I did warn myself that it was as good as it gets and no matter what, progress is progress.  I remain ever vigilant.  This past week was a good one, as I challenged myself in typically tough scenarios for a food addict.  There was lots of time on the road and a number of meals eaten out.  I am really missing neither meat nor caffeine.   The little bit of white flour I’ve had is negligible.  So I will stay the course and keep doing what I know is right.  With one exception, MOVE!

This morning I approached my old adversary, the scale, and stepped aboard with anticipation.  I normally weigh myself on an electronic scale three times to get a consistent reading.  They can be kind of a pain to get a steady readout.  This morning I got numbers all over the place.  This was the initial reading, 347.8.  I couldn’t get the bloody thing to give me the same numbers twice, so this is the official number.  Frankly, I got frustrated and said, “Screw it. This is close enough.”  Down 2.6 lbs in week 2, for a total of 15.6.  Disappointed? Yeah, I have to I admit I am.  I was hoping for more like 5 lbs lost.  Deterred?  Not in the slightest.  I am moving in the right direction and I know in my heart that I ate healthfully this last week.  I might have done a wee bit better had I cut out the Starbucks.  Albeit, they were the skinny version and each under 160 calories, but they add up.
If I can keep up a 2-lb-per-week pace for the next year, I will be under 250 for the first time since 1984 or so.  One of my biggest worries is that I will look like a deflated Mike.1.  So it is then I will have to undergo reconstructive surgery (or surgeries) to remove excess skin and get a somewhat “normal” shape.  I am so not looking forward to that.  There will be some serious recovery needed and, I am sure, severe discomfort.  My guess is that the surgery in and of itself will yield about 20+ pounds of weight loss.  By the way, for those that don’t know me well, I stand just under 5’9” on a good hair day.  I wonder what size waist I would have at 230 lbs?  I’m not sure, but it will be nice to buy off the rack in a normal store for once.  I look forward to the day where the size tag doesn’t have a number before the XL.
Folks, I need your thoughts on topics you would like to hear about from me.  Trying to keep this from getting repetitive is a harder task than I anticipated.  Either comment here or on FB if you have an idea, a question or a general comment regarding the blog.
Cya Tuesday,
M
What I ate today:
Breakfast ~ Amy’s burrito with 1 Tb fat free Greek yogurt and 2 Tb chipotle salsa.  Decaf with 1 Tb ½ & ½ (I used the last of it and don’t plan on buying any more.
Lunch ~ Un-Turkey pita sandwich
Mid-afternoon snack ~ Honeycrisp Apple
Dinner ~ Pictured above is a Korean Bibimbop.  It’s brown rice with different veggies, crispy tofu and egg, all mixed up.  Very good stuff.  It’s from Cooking Light and the recipe is located here: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/bibimbop-50400000119700/

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like good healthy meals Mike- keep it up!
    Greg B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing great Mike! We love you and we are very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever been tested for food allergies, wheat sensitivity, etc. That would be an interesting topic. I have the sense that I weigh more or at least bloat more when I eat wheat, but have never been tested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually Megan, I do suffer from gustatory rhinorrhea. That's a fancy way if saying my nose runs when I eat. No clue why, No I haven't been tested, but it sure sounds like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you don't want to be bothered with the high-tech allergy testing, just follow an elimination diet for about a month and then eat some wheat product while taking your pulse. If you're allergic or sensitive, just having it in your mouth and activating your salivary glands will raise your heart rate noticeably. Or if you just feel tired or hear lots of noise in your belly after eating it, then there's your answer!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anon. I am sure it isn't wheat for me as it has happened plenty when not having any. Your reply just made me think of something though. In the last 3 weeks of this journey I am on, I don't think I have had any issues with the GR. Wondering if it has something to do with preservatives.

      Delete