Saturday, February 18, 2012

Not So Anonymous Overeater

It's been suggested to me several times that I attend Overeaters Anonymous.  I have never quite felt it was for me.  Perhaps embarrassment in admitting my problem in front of strangers.  Perhaps the spiritual aspect of turning yourself over to a higher power.  In recent years I haven't been terribly spiritual.  But obviously, this new me, ready for change, has gotten over his fear of proclaiming his inability to control himself in the presence of a cheesy, meat laden, slice of pizza.  Ah pizza, I'll miss you. But we'll meet again in the future, when we can have a healthy relationship.

The point of The Drive to 195 Project was for me to make my own Overeater's Not-So-Anonymous.  By creating this blog and letting the world in on a secret everyone knew anyway, I have established a network of "sponsors".  Sponsors create a sense of accountability, a sounding board, and source of knowledge and experience.  I have fortunately have achieved these needs, through you all, my journey partners.  No, I won't be able to call you at 3AM and tell you that I am jonesing for a Whopper, or that I'm strung out on Peanut M&Ms.  But I have such a strong feeling of commitment to this thing that I don't see myself in that position.  Call it naivete, or just plain ignorance, but that is the place I am in right now.  I feel strong.  I feel confident.  I also feel so accountable that if I did ever stray, I would be forced to admit it.  The "no one will know" thought has frequently crossed my mind and fortunately it has been easily vanquished. 

So thank you all, my sponsors.  I have indeed given myself over to a higher power than I once knew.  The power of hope, the power of strength gleaned from others, the power of the new me that is indeed possible.

Cya tomorrow,
M

What I Ate Today:

Breakfast ~ One egg, grilled tomato and red onion on a multi grain English muffin. Decaf w/So Delicious Hazelnut Creamer
Lunch ~ Vegetable Maki (Sushi roll) and seaweed salad
Dinner ~ Broiled salmon w/braised fennel and carrots, and a touch of brown rice (not pictured)
After dinner ~ Decaf w/So Delicious Hazelnut Creamer

Full disclosure: I had one non-alcoholic beer last night after the gig.



No comments:

Post a Comment