Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Getting Fit May Kill Me

Okay.  It's an exaggeration, but I needed a catchy title and had trouble thinking of one.  I do, however, feel like a wrung-out dishrag today.  As you well know, if you come here with any degree of frequency, I started a Crossfit training program yesterday.  Here I will try to explain what Crossfit is and why I am subjecting myself to it.


Let's tackle the why first.  I need to do something to build muscle mass, burn fat and increase my stamina.  This is important on many fronts.  Foremost in my mind is with regards to my skin surgery.  A few months ago I saw a TV program about former obese folks that underwent full body lifts, the same surgery I will have to submit to, to remove excess skin.  The surgeon that was performing both these procedures was saying that the male subject on the show was going to have a much easier recovery, due to his toned muscles and limited subcutaneous body fat.  This guy was at the gym working out a few times a week for many months prior to his surgery.  The funny thing is, he had the worst recovery of the two, but for other reasons.  I want my recovery from this surgery to go as easy as possible.  Also, throw in the fact that I want my new physique (never imagined "my" and "physique" in the same sentence) to look its best right out of the gate.  That, and a little muscle will fill out my existing skin all the better.


What is Crossfit?  Crossfit is the strengthening and conditioning program used by many police academies and military special forces.  The key to it is that Crossfit is scalable to just about any level of fitness.  So I can brag how I do the same fitness regimen as a Navy Seal.  (Sure, Mike. You keep telling yourself that.)  The reality is that the level of intensity and maneuvers can be adjusted to almost anyone.  I saw all ages and body types in the gym; kids to women in their sixties. 


Runners train for endurance.  Weightlifters train for strength.  Crossfit covers no one discipline and works the whole body in short bursts for intense periods.  Nothing is task specific.  You not only become adept at all disciplines, but it all applies to your everyday life.  Lifting things properly, getting up from a chair, climbing stairs,  all use your whole body.  Crossfit covers it all and does it at the same time.   Every day's workout is different.  I have heard the principle referred to as muscle confusion.  That explains why my thighs, triceps and calves are confused and wondering "What the F are you doing to us?"  They'll be singing that same tune after I go back on Thursday.


What I did on Monday:  I am sure the guy went easy on me, due to my size and inexperience with physical activity in general....unless of course you count carting around 360+ lbs, 24/7, for a number of years.  First we warmed up with various stretches that are done in a line from point A to point B.  Lunges, Frankensteins and butt kicks, etc.  Then various squats with your arms in different positions, keeping attention on proper form.  Then I was asked for the next 10 minutes, to do these strap pull-up type maneuvers (5 of them), then 10 push ups (with benefit of a raised bar, instead of on the floor), and then 15 'air squats'.  As many of these in succession as I could in 10 minutes.  I lasted 8, before I felt a little light headed.  After sitting for two minutes, I went back and finished the last set of air squats.


Driving home, my muscles quivered just turning the steering wheel.  I was whipped, but I didn't feel hurt.  Just worked-over and slightly fatigued.  I also felt proud.  I plan on taking this whole thing one session at a time.  Usually for around 20 minutes a pop.  I'll get a little better and faster each time I go and each time I finish, I'll have added another brick in the foundation of my self-esteem.


Note: Wednesday's blog will be either posted very late or Thursday morning.


Cya then,
M


What I ate today and how I exercised:
Breakfast ~ Kashi 7 Grain Nuggets w/fresh blueberries and almond milk
Lunch ~ I hit a sushi buffet while on the road.  A nice assortment of salads, soup and sushi, while avoiding the maki rolls with special sauces or spicy mayo.
Afternoon ~ Decaf iced coffee w/skim milk and some almonds
Dinner ~ Garbanzo and Watercress soup with a hunk of whole grain bread.  This recipe was a delicious discovery and here are the nutrition values:

  • Calories: 201
  • Calories from fat: 14%
  • Protein: 19g
  • Fat: 3.2g
  • Saturated fat: 0.1g
  • Carbohydrate: 36g
  • Fiber: 13g
  • Sodium: 470mg
  • Cholesterol: 0.0mg
Find the recipe at Myrecipes.com
Exercise ~ I may get on the treadmill for 20 minutes tonight..then again I may not.

No comments:

Post a Comment