Wednesday, July 18, 2012

What's In My Head Wednesday: 07.18.12

My head is swimming these days with possibilities, promise and renewed determination.  What's fueling my brain this week?  Well, I've been steady in my direction all along, but getting closer to the 299 mark I feel even more on top of my game.  Here's WIMHW for Week 23.


You'll Ruin Your Eyes!
Isn't that what our Moms yelled at us way back when TVs weren't hung on walls and we sat too close?  "Move back!  You'll ruin your eyes!"  Well I am watching TV these days a mere twelve inches from my nose.  It's all about the treadmill.  I mentioned recently that we relocated the the treadmill to a more usable space and I still dreaded getting on it.  It was boring.  But this fancy piece of equipment has a TV screen built right into it and tonight I finally got it working right.  Time seems to move a heck of lot quicker when I can shift my mind elsewhere while exercising.  So since I already wear trifocals, I will get too close to the TV.  It's nice to feel good about getting on that contraption!


The Power of Habit
As you may well know, I don't read.  I listen... to audio books.  Although I still find it easier to say "I am reading..." or "I have read..." instead of explaining the whole audio thing.  I have belonged to an audio book club for about six years now and love it.  I go through all genres from non-fiction to novels and biographies to self-help.  On my phone right now is a book called "The Power of Habit."  It is a truly amazing look at how we form habits and what it takes to change them.  About half way through, I am thrilled that much of what I set in motion five months prior to even hearing about this book is exactly what needs to be done to create lasting change.  I'll be reporting on various aspects of the science of habits in upcoming blogs.  If you really want to know how to reprogram your brain and break free from the shackles of poor practices, I highly recommend you read (or listen to) this book. 


Eat Your Vegetables
Yet another thing your mother always told you.  Eat your vegetables!  The difference these days is I can't be cajoled with the prospect of dessert.  My wife pointed something out to me the other day.  Well she points stuff out to me every day, but this one hit home.  I haven't been getting enough vegetables in my meals.  They have been pretty protein heavy and I really need to have more green stuff every day.  I should get back to those raw vegetable packed salads and vegetarian dishes that helped me kick off this whole process.  More veggies will not only push me below 300 in a tasty way, but help me keep my vow never to go back.  Look for more vegetables in my food logs and feel free to bust my onions should you see me not getting enough.


Cya tomorrow for Food Thursday,
M


What I ate today and how I exercised:
Breakfast ~ Egg Mikemuffin w/one egg, dices red bell pepper and one diced 50 calorie chicken sausage on a multi-grain deli flat
Lunch ~ Sushi with the boss.  I had seaweed salad and a rainbow roll w/brown rice.
Dinner ~ Amy's Teriyaki Brown Rice Bowl, packed with veggies, brown rice and tofu
Exercise ~ 20 minutes on the treadmill.  Man, my eyes are tired!  Maybe Mom does know best.

No comments:

Post a Comment