Saturday, July 28, 2012

Dreaming Bigger: Part 3

I have always loved the old saw 'less is more'.  It espouses that simplicity elevates a few elements, whereas, complication leads to a diminished state.  So true in so many areas of life, especially cooking.  Keep it simple.  I have a different take on less is more.  The less I weigh, the more I should expect from life.  As I take up less space on this earth, I should be dreaming big dreams for myself.  We can all benefit from recapturing the grandiose desires we left behind in our childhood.  I dream of reaching for things unimaginable for a fat man and focus on them to drive me to the finish line.


I've been keeping a list and that ranges from the extreme to the mundane.  Things that most of you take for granted aren't a part of an obese person's life.  So in this series I document each of them to keep them in my sights and share with all of you.


Dreaming Bigger List 

  • Jet Ski
  • Water ski
  • Just plain ski!  In fact, I want to do just about anything with the  'ski' at the end of in it.  Unless you are Polish.  My wife wouldn't approve.
  • I'd like to have a lap.  Sounds odd I know, but I have a gut that covers where a lap should be.  My laptop should be able to reach its full potential and actually rest on a lap.  The same goes for a napkin.  Let's give these lap dwellers a proper home.
  • Ride a horse
  • I'd like to, once again, buy pants that don't have that hidden sliding elastic built into the waistband
  • Wear sport coats and have them complement my shape rather than accentuate my girth
  • Be comfortable on the couch without having to occasionally rotate the cushions, like tires on a car.  They get too flat if I don't.
  • Sit in those plastic chairs on someone's patio without fear of them being in the recycling bin the following day
  • Speak to people without noticing their eyes trying to catch glimpses of my body size.  It's extremely disconcerting and does nothing for my ego.
  • I'm not sure I will ever feel totally comfortable with this one, as I don't know what scarring will be left in the aftermath of full body lift surgery (excess skin removal), but I would like to be at ease with swimming in front of others with no shirt on.  Wearing a t-shirt in a pool or at the beach has always been a badge of shame for me.
  • I dream about not considering my weight or appearance when doing anything at all.  Just doing it.
Cya Sunday,
M

What I ate Friday and how I exercised:
Breakfast ~ Kashi 7 Grain Nuggets w/toasted pecans and almond milk
Lunch ~ My quick and easy brown rice jambalaya and some watermelon pesto feta salad
Snack ~ Sweet and hot pickled carrot sticks
Dinner ~ What does the Caesar salad I ate last night and me at my last business meeting have in common?  We were both way overdressed.  I ate about 1/3 of it.  Plus blackened salmon, carrots
and rice w/a glass of Cabernet...oh, and some bread
Exercise ~ 20 minutes of brisk dog-walking

2 comments:

  1. Let me know when you're ready for the "just plain ski" adventure. I ski patrol right here in NJ and would be more than happy to introduce you to the slopes. Harriet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Harriet! I hope to be ready by December or January.

    ReplyDelete