Saturday, July 7, 2012

Five Month Anniversary

It's been five whole months, as of July 6, since I started this whole thing.  It hardly seems that long.  Pick any of the old adages about time passing quickly and they all apply.  Hmmm... I guess there is no such a thing as an adage that isn't old.  When exactly do they get their official 'adage' status?   Anyway, it's been a fun and educational process thus far.  I've certainly learned a lot and from the feedback I get, much of it is also new to you.  That's a really nice feeling, knowing that my readers are getting something out of this as well.  I thought that this anniversary would be a good time to remind myself and everyone who is along for the journey with me what this blog is all about.


I often have to do a reality check and tell myself why it is that I do this.  Too many times in recent months I have seen story lines on television that show a main character getting self-absorbed over the success of their blog.  It is very easy to get caught up in the number of hits, followers, etc.  While I do find it all interesting and it is an ego stroke, I keep myself in check as a reminder that I don't want to become that cliché sitcom guy.  I'm here to get my life on track.  I really do need to eliminate the alternate title on this blog.  "The Getting My Life Back Project" isn't very accurate.  I had a life even at my fattest of 483.5 lbs.  This is about getting a better life for me and my wife.  (I'm sure she is reading this saying "And don't forget the puppies!")


Let me re-cover previously covered ground to clue in folks that haven't been with us the whole time.  Who I am and why we are here?  First off, who am I?  Mike Accardi, is a 48 year old electronics component salesman from Parsippany, NJ (In my head I hear Alex Trebek saying "Now let's play Jeopardy!").  I have struggled with weight issues all my life.  In 2001, after the death of my father the previous year, I found myself at the previously stated 483.5 lbs. and in somewhat of an emotional abyss.  I opted for gastric bypass surgery which got me as far down as 285 lbs. or so.  Then my weight started to creep back up and to the best of my knowledge (when you don't care to know you avoid the scale) I ballooned to as high as 380 lbs. in 2009.  I wanted more for myself and my wife, but until early 2012, I didn't know what to do that would be any different than all of my previously failed efforts.


Why are we here?  It had been suggested that I try Overeaters Anonymous, but I didn't think that was for me.  If I wanted to go off the wagon, I could simply stop attending meetings.  Yes, I am aware that it has worked for a great many people.  I know some of them.  I wanted something that was totally unique to my situation.  Something I could make my own.  It occurred to me that all this time I knew what to do.  I do believe that we all inherently know what is good to eat and what is garbage for our systems.  I just chose not to listen to my inner nutritionist.  Heck, I was already an expert at weight loss.  I have probably lost over six or seven hundred pounds in my lifetime.  What I wasn't an expert at was suppressing weight gain.  I needed to establish a new lifestyle, rather than going on yet another diet.  I required a way to maintain the good habits and make the right choices for the rest of my days.  How could I come up with a means of accountability that would be long lasting?  AHA!  Take the 'anonymous' out the equation.  Go public.  Come out of the closet (or is it the pantry?).  The idea for this blog was born.  Mike, publicly declare your intentions and your food addiction, so that accountability will be achieved on a grand scale.  Quitting won't be an option.  The world will be watching.


These pages aren't everything I originally saw in my mind's eye.  They have actually morphed into something more in many aspects.  The initial premise was a virtual diary combined with a sense of community.  I saw a collective of like minded people sharing their own food issues and responding to mine.  What we have now is more like one-third biography, one-third diary and one-third nutritional info and recipes.  The interaction I had envisioned hasn't gelled yet, but overall, this all has come together rather nicely, I think.  My goal here is to enlighten, inform and entertain, while getting leaner and healthier.  My target is 195 lbs. by the time I reach 50 years old on January 12, 2014.  To date, I am down almost 60 lbs. in the five months we have traveled along the TDT195 road.  I will soon be under 300 lbs. for the first time in many years and I will NEVER go back. 


Thanks for helping with my successes of the first five months.  You have been essential to it all.  I hope you continue on with me to the many victories yet to come and that we will pick up more travelers in need of support along the way.  Even those offering support, but secure in their own lifestyle are welcome companions.  I am happy to have each of you in my life.  It's a life that gets better, and potentially longer, every day.


Be well,
M


What I ate Friday and how I exercised:
Breakfast ~ A toasted whole grain bagel with one thin slice of cheddar
Lunch ~ 1.5 chicken burger patties w/o bun and some four bean whole grain pasta salad
Snack ~ A handful of Food Should Taste Good chips
Dinner ~ A perfect dinner.  Exactly what I wanted.  Some crab soup and a nicely portioned piece of grilled salmon with veggies and some lemon squeezed over it all.  Simple and delicious.
Exercise ~ None

No comments:

Post a Comment