Tuesday, July 17, 2012

You've Got A Friend

It's hard watching the people you care about suffering through the same trials and tribulations you have endured.  Experiencing my current metamorphosis makes me particularly sensitive to the plight of my fellow obese friends and family.  I believe the introspection that I have engaged in over the last 23 weeks has made me that much more aware and empathetic to the issues these people may not have even admitted to themselves as having.  I see the repeated poor choices on their plates, bad habits, ignorance and apathy, in which I myself have been expert.


Each time I see the signs, I am tempted to approach these people to offer a helping hand.  The problem is that I know they need to arrive at a point in their lives where they want more for themselves.  It cannot be thrust upon them.  Today I offered a friend, via Facebook, some advice on his "diet lunch".  I reached out a virtual hand and I know it will not be grasped.  I've been down that path before, as have many of you.  Half-hearted attempts at making lasting changes are a step en route to real transformation I guess.  It's all part of the learning process toward a better life via the experience of failure.  Hopefully you learn from your mistakes and improve each time. 


You always wish your loved ones can be spared the regrets you carry.  It would be a wonderful thing indeed if I could do some Vulcan mind meld on these people and make them see what it took me 48 years to realize.  Unfortunately, it is seldom a welcomed interaction and even more rare that it will effect change.  If any of you see yourself in these words or wish to guide someone toward my assistance, I am here when needed.


Cya tomorrow,
M


What I ate today and how I exercised:
Breakfast ~ At Starbucks for a business meeting and I had their oatmeal w/mixed nuts and half a dried fruit packet, plus a Grande Mocha Lite Decaf
Lunch ~ One of those use it or lose it moments brought me to a chicken sausage on a whole grain roll with mustard and a freshly plucked tomato.  Fiery pickled carrot sticks and cukes on the side.
Dinner ~ Rotisserie chicken breast over a chopped salad of mixed greens, basil, red pepper, carrot, onion and tomato w/chipotle lime vinaigrette
Exercise ~ None

1 comment:

  1. It all boils down to loving oneself. If everyone got to the point where it was simply unacceptable to treat their body with disrespect, then the enemy of obesity would disappear. So many don't realize that they're turning to food for love and pleasure, no different than if they turned to alcohol, gambling, shopping or a joint. And 'dieting' is the scourge of the 21st century, leading to the deprivation of the very thing for which we turn to food in the first place... - Tabitha

    ReplyDelete