Wednesday, April 18, 2012

What's In My Head Wednesday 04.18.12

Hi there and welcome back for another WIMHW.  I have a few things on my mind this fine spring day and I'll lay it out for you in little snippets. 

Taxing Times
I was doing my taxes this year and I was reminded of how freaking stressful and time consuming it is.  I don't think next year I will be taking this on again.  Aside from the forensic dissection of last year's money activity, writing large checks to those that spend it so freely is mind numbing to me.  Oddly enough, I wasn't taken to thoughts of comforting myself through food this year, as a means of relieving the anxiety.  I would have normally used this as an opportunity to justify some junk food or some kind of fatty morsels.  It wasn't even a conscious effort to not turn to food.  The thoughts just weren't present.  It feels good realizing that my firmware is being rewritten.

One Man's Trash...
It amazes me how sometimes I will sit down to write a post and totally not know what to do, yet I manage to pound out something on my laptop.  Yesterday was one of those times.  My thoughts rolled through my week and my experiences and I came up with a premise.  As I was writing, I was disappointed that I was just not keeping up with a standard that people would connect to and want to read.  With nothing else to offer, I shipped the 'Compliments' post off into cyberspace.  The amazing part is, the feedback I got from the blog was that it struck more of a chord to readers than I would have expected.  I got a good amount of feedback within a short time.  Lesson learned.  Write what I am feeling or experiencing and let things fall where they may.  My brother put it well.  "Things may not be profound on my end to be profound to someone else." 

New Deli
I love traditional Jewish deli food.  Especially, corned beef and pastrami.  In fact, one of the last things I made sure to have before I kicked off this undertaking, was a sloppy Joe consisting of pastrami, turkey and brisket, with Russian dressing and slaw.  My boss decided that today we would have a company meeting/lunch at Harold's Deli in Edison.  If you aren't familiar with Harold's, one thing you should know is that there are few, if any, things on the menu that aren't bigger than your head.  I do not exaggerate on this point, which is why I don't call it Harold's, but the Bigger Than Your Head Deli.  I was wondering how I would fare at today's lunch meeting.  I am happy to report, I navigated the challenge almost flawlessly.  First off, a trip to the pickle bar where I enjoyed their delicious health salad made with pickled cabbage, carrots, cukes and more.  I had a big plate of that to start, plus a half sour.  I ordered a cup of cold borscht (beet soup) and was disappointed it had sour cream mixed in.  I had just a few sips then passed it on.  Lastly, I split a turkey sandwich on pumpernickel with two other guys (Yeah, they are that big, because there was still some left for the boss to take home.).  My only falter was that I took ONE thin slice of pastrami and placed it over the turkey to give it that taste I love, added a schmear of mustard and I was in heaven.  I washed it all down with a diet cream soda.   A successful new experience for me at the deli.

Daily Grind
I am considering killing the Tuesday and Saturday editions of TDT195. They are by far the least read and the daily task of writing is quite a grind. While I almost always enjoy it, I sometimes want a day off. My initial intents for the blog never seriously considered what it might become long term. Several people put the thought in my head that this could someday be a book. I then started to think about what that book would be like, should it come to pass. What I am wrestling with now is, how will cutting the two days per week impact that vision? I'll mull it over and give everyone notice, should I cut back.  If you see days like last Thursday, where I publish the next morning, know I probably needed some time off.  Thanks to everyone for reading, participating and caring.  It makes all the difference to me.

Cya Tomorrow,
M

What I ate today and how I exercised:

Breakfast ~ Kashi Island Vanilla cereal w/1 banana and unsweetened vanilla almond milk

Lunch ~ See above

Dinner ~ No clue.  TBD

Exercise ~ I plan to walk after an appointment I have later.  Will report back tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment