Saturday, April 14, 2012

Walk It Off

Today was the first meeting of TDT195 Walking Club.  An immense group of two, myself included, strode around Giralda Farms, in Madison, NJ.  Thanks to my dear friend Alex, for making the walk seem effortless.  I was actually not expecting many, if any, participants.  It's a gorgeous day out and people generally have plans on weekends.  I still plan on doing it each week, though.  Probably, both Saturday and Sunday.  We will be back next Saturday at 11:00 to do the same. 

I was surprised that the loop around the complex was as long as it is, being 2.7 miles in all (pictured above).  There are some hills and it is mostly off road, with a nice paved path.  You even get to see a lot of adorable pups along the way, as St. Hubert's Giralda Animal Rescue is in the complex and people are walking the furry orphans, with signs that say "Adopt Me" on them.  I encourage all of you to get out and exercise to the extent you feel comfortable.  No excuses!  With me, or without, it's the perfect time of year to start.

As a side plug, somewhat relating to this post, I am sure many of you are aware that Tab and I are active in dog rescue, through a local shelter.  We've fostered and re-homed about a dozen dogs to their new 'furever' homes in the past twelve months.  If you, or someone you know, are looking for a new dog, please go through a shelter in your area. DO NOT purchase dogs from pet stores.  These dogs are too often from unscrupulous puppy mills and have a host of issues that may not show for some time.  The same holds true for cats.  If you aren't looking for a new addition to the family, kindly consider donating to a shelter in your area.  These folks work tirelessly for the good of the defenseless animals.  Thanks for letting me stand on a soapbox for an unrelated topic.

Shameless plug #2...The Misses and I are performing tonight in Roselle Park, NJ.  Come on out to Vinhus and join us from 8:30 to 11:30, won't you?

What I ate today and how I exercised:

Breakfast ~ Grape-nuts cereal/fresh blueberries and unsweetened vanilla almond milk

Lunch ~ Multi-grain tuna/avocado roll from Whole Foods Market.  I also tried one of new-fangled coconut water beverages.  Let's just say, I'd rather have water.

Dinner ~ Early supper tonight consisting of a big bowl of Tom Yum soup with chicken.  If you don't know Tom Yum, introduce yourself to this spicy, sweet and sour broth loaded with fresh veggies.  So good, its last name is, Yum.

Exercise ~ 2.7 miles with my bud, Alexandra

No comments:

Post a Comment