Sunday, April 1, 2012

A.L.O.E. for Sunday 04.02.12

Another Sunday and it's time to soothe what ails us with a little A.L.O.E. (A Little Of Everything).   Little tidbits, not long enough to fill an entire day's post.  Today I let you know what is in store for April and how I fared after a celebration at a fine restaurant.



Bowl-a-thon

Last night my dear friend A invited her closest friends and family to a fine dining establishment to celebrate her 35th birthday.  A great room, with everyone all dressed up and fabulous food.  All courtesy of A.  This was a preset menu and it would certainly be challenging for me.  First off was some appetizers for the table.  Sliders, as well as tuna and salmon tartars with a beautiful avocado/mango salad. Cool!  I can eat the fish dishes.  We then get three choices each for salad and entree.  I chose a tri-color beet salad and a filet mignon with roasted root veg, wild mushrooms and mashed potatoes.  I loved the beet salad and the filet was perfect. I ate half and I tasted literally just a couple of forkfuls of the potatoes. At this time I started to feel a bit full...and something else.  It was reminiscent of times I would eat too quick after my bypass.  My stomach was in peril and I felt a foaminess bubbling up.  Not good.

I told the wife we had to exit quickly and made my apologies to A after our desserts were served.  I had already ordered a fruit plate which the wife enjoyed.  We made a dash home and I went straight for my porcelain quiet place, where I stayed for about an hour.  I was in agony and couldn't imagine what I had eaten that made me so sick.  No one else seemed to feel the ill-effects I encountered.  I crawled into bed and made another marathon visit to the my 'other office'.  I wound up sleeping until 1:30 this afternoon and ate a light, bland lunch.  Full disclosure should also let you know that last night I had one O'Douls and about two ounces of red wine, my first alcohol since February fifth.  I will speak more about that in the next chapter.

I think what caused everything may have been the raw fish.  I feel fine now and regretted that I had to exit early from such a nice occasion.  My first thought was that something didn't jive with the liver-cleanse supplements.  I was so violently ill that I think I can rule that out.  No raw fish for me for a while.

Stop Wining?

I ruled out alcohol in my new lifestyle for two reasons.  First was it is empty calories that I felt I couldn't afford.  Secondly, I tend to make bad decisions after a few wines, beers or cocktails.  Easy to solve the problem.  No drinky for Mikey.  After two months of getting on track, I think I have enough of a handle on my decision making abilities.  If I can have just a tad on special occasions and keep it in check, I plan on including an infrequent adult beverage in the new way of life.   One, repeat ONE, glass of wine with dinner, once or twice a month, or less.  I also plan on having a good scotch with my brother when I visit him for Easter next week.  I think a cigar will go nicely with that.  So those are the only changes for the month of April, as I adapt to my new life.  I am still swearing off caffeine and limiting dairy. In fact, dairy has been almost nonexistent in my dietary choices since I killed off what was left in the fridge.

Cya tomorrow for weigh-in #8,
M

What I ate today and how I exercised:

Breakfast ~ none

Lunch ~ 1/4 cup brown rice with cannellini beans, 1/2 a small tomato and a touch of Earth Balance butter spread.

Dinner ~ A small cup of pasta fagioli, broiled salmon and assorted veggies.  YUM.

Exercise ~ None.  Back at it tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment