Thursday, February 28, 2013

This Week in Food: Garlic Mashed Cauliflower

Everyone loves mashed potatoes.  Maybe not everyone, but if you don't, go read another blog because you are weird we're all going to make fun of you the second you click off to another site.  Go on. We'll wait.  Okay.  He left. Can you imagine?  The dude doesn't like mashed potatoes.  Loser!  I'd say that potatoes in their whipped, mashed or smashed state with a ton of butter and liberally salted are one of my top five favorite foods.

One variation of mashed potatoes that I have never been on the Love Train about is garlic mashed.  I'm a purist when it comes to my creamy spuds. That is why it was a surprise that this recipe really worked for me in quelling my jones for mashed.

The reality is that there is practically nothing that can justify eating forkfuls of fluffy white decadence unless, it is a special occasion, because they are just that: decadent.  Nothing about them is good for you or will aid in weight loss. Enter cauliflower to the rescue.  I am not going to try to sell you some bill of goods that my whipped garlic cauliflower is going to replace the iconic potato version at Thanksgiving, but for an easy weeknight dinner, I absolutely adore this dish and it has fast become a favorite in our house.  These are nutritional specs for the recipe below. Above, you see them paired with rotisserie chicken and some Brussels sprouts from one of last week's meals.  Thanks to my food stylist Lindsey who captured this when I was asleep at the wheel and neglected to.

If you like yours thinner, add a little more half n half.  A little thicker and you can replace 2 Tbs of the half n half with low fat sour cream.  Adding finely minced fresh parsley or chives would be nice.  Change this up any way you want, but keep calories and fat in mind. Otherwise...what's the point?

I am always looking for feedback on my recipes, so please let me know if you try this, have any issues, or whether you love it, hate it, or just went "meh..."

Garlic Whipped Cauliflower
serves 4-6

Ingredients

  • 5 cloves of garlic, whole and peeled
  • 1/2 tsp olive oil
  • a dash of salt
  • 6 cups cauliflower florets (about one head) 
  • 1/2 cup fat free half n half (use one with no HFCS. if you can)
  • 3 Tbs Earth Balance Original Buttery Spread
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper (if specs bother you, use white pepper.  I don't mind them.)

Method

  • Place the garlic, oil and a pinch of salt in a small foil packet and into a 450 degree toaster oven for 20-25 minutes.  It should come out a nice caramel color, fragrant and soft.  Careful!  It's very hot when you open the packet.
  • Steaming the cauliflower makes for the best texture.  Boiling, both makes it watery and leaches out some nutrition.  Steam your florets for 15 to 20 minutes or until very tender for the best results.
  • Carefully place your steamed cauliflower, garlic and all remaining ingredients in a food processor and blend until silky smooth.
  • Check seasoning to taste.

Cya next time,
M

What I ate today and how I exercised:
Breakfast: A 2 egg omelet with reduced fat cheese and lean ham.  Coffee w/ fat free half n half.
Lunch: I ate at an Indian buffet and indulged in some chicken tika masala, among other mostly vegetable dishes.  I also had a piece of naan.
Dinner ~ TBD
Exercise: 1 mile at the mall after my haircut.  Lookin' snazzy...

No comments:

Post a Comment