Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Walk It Off!

How many of you played Little League Baseball, softball or any sport as a youth? If you did, you inevitably sustained a minor injury only to be told "Walk it off!"  Well, that phrase is back in my life.  Not because of injury, knock wood, but because these days I am walking off the pounds...or at least that is the plan.


As you may know, I have committed to participating in the 5K Foamfest (click for link) in June.  I am mindful to say "participate" because I am not delusional enough to think I can run it.  5 kilometers isn't that far.  For those of you that are metrically challenged, 5 kilometers is about 3.1 miles, but add in the obstacles that this event throws at you along the way and it will be a victory way beyond the 5K I set out to do in my Dreaming Bigger list from May 15th of last year.  I am far from prepared, so get ready...I walk, and I walk, and I walk.

Last week I decided something everyone else knew before.  Okay, I knew it too.  I chose to ignore it that I need to exercise more.  I'm certain that movement will propel me past this lull in my weight loss.  So I set a goal to walk 5 days last week.  I did miss the mark in the number of days by doing only 4, but one day I doubled up.  I will count it as a win. This week my goal is to walk each and every day.

What am I doing?  Nope.  It's not The Dreadmill.  I will use that from time to time to mix things up.  What I am doing is a combination of walking around the lake I live by (2.8 miles) and a series of videos by a woman named Leslie Sansone.  When you check out these videos you will surprised to know that this lady is herself 51 years young.  I am not sure when they were filmed, but I am fairly sure it wasn't that long ago.

There are several Sansone videos available on YouTube and I highly recommend that you check them out.  These are designed to give you 1, 2, 3 miles or more in 15 minute increments.  If you are relatively new to exercising, I think the 15 minute mile is a good basic workout.  I didn't find it at all challenging and went to the 2 mile, but if you can make 15 minutes each day to do this, you will be far better off than doing nothing.  Today I tried the 3 miler and, man, it really did get my heart working and I felt like I had really accomplished something.  Below are links to the 1, 2 and 3 mile walks, all endorsed by The American Heart Association.

1 Mile Walk
2 Mile Walk
3 Mile Walk

What I love about this exercise regimen is that it doesn't depend on the weather, costs nothing, and you can do it in your own living room or den with about 6-7 feet of space.  It works many muscle groups and incorporates pretty simple moves.  There are no complicated dance steps, nor Richard Simmons in tight shorts creeping you out with his oldies and his sweat.

Let me know if you try these.  I am glad they came my way and will go a long way to getting me ready for my June 22nd challenge.

Cya next time for a stuffed pepper recipe,
M

What I ate today and how I exercised:
Breakfast ~ 2 eggs, lean ham and very thin multi-grain toast
Lunch ~ Chopped salad with cubed turkey, spring greens, roasted peppers and fat-free feta
Dinner ~ A left over stuffed pepper and about 1 oz. of whole grain pasta.
Exercise ~ Click on the 3 Mile Walk video link above to see what I did today.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear walking's becoming part of your routine. I try to get in a walk whenever I drop the girls off for an activity. Tonight (and most Thursdays) I'll be doing the Lake Packanack loop from 5:00 to 6:00. Give me a shout if you're looking for a change of scenery. Harriet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Harriet! I may take you up on that one week. Do you know how long a walk it is?
      Regards,
      Mike

      Delete