Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Dreaming Bigger: Part 1

I have made mention in past blogs of things that I would like to do when I get healthier, slimmer and more active.  I have also espoused the principle; We should all dream bigger.  Revert back to your youthful, more naive, self and want more than your current reach can grasp.  In a recent comment, one reader asked, "Aren't there things that you are so excited to do, that you now dread?  Such good motivation!"  Good motivation, indeed, HBBC.




I was speaking with a colleague just yesterday and he was saying how sore he was from doing a "Tough Mudder" this past weekend.  I had heard of these 'mudders', but thought they were an Abbott and Costello routine or some kind of a triathlon.  I learned that they are more of a 13 mile obstacle course through the mud, developed by the British special forces, in which masochistic Americans now train, pay for and put themselves in situations that a normal person would prefer prison to, in order to test their mettle.  I thought, "No freaking way would run 13 miles through the mud, let alone swim through ice (called an 'Arctic Enema'), get electrocuted and run through fire!".  But it also got me to thinking that there are things I would like to do someday that would prove something to myself and celebrate the person I am becoming.  With that purpose in mind, we will be having a recurring theme, now and again, called Dreaming Bigger (Just in case you didn't see that obvious title above all this text.).  


In this feature I will list things that I, hopefully, will someday accomplish.  From the mundane to the extreme, this will serve as a Mike.2 bucket list.  I'd love for this to be interactive, hearing from the readers if they have participated in, or wanted to accomplish something similar to what I have on my list.  Let's get to it...


Dreaming Bigger List

  1. Walk 18 holes of golf, carrying my own bag
  2. Run in a 5k event
  3. Travel throughout Europe, without fear of physical limitations
  4. Skydive
  5. Fit into and ride the more thrilling attractions at Six Flags and the like
  6. Play on a softball team
  7. Crack the code to being a successful host on Food Network, offering healthier, yet tasty fare
  8. Dance, not only like no one is watching, but not give a fig if they are
  9. Buy nice clothes that I know I can wear forever, knowing that my size is a constant
  10. Play tennis once again...and be better than I was previously (Which wasn't all that great, but passable.)
  11. Hike in the mountains and enjoy nature
  12. Sleep comfortably in a bed, without constant tossing and turning from pressure pain
There is a dozen.  Every so often I will add a dozen or so more.  Most of these are in the 'mundane' category and aren't at all beyond the realm of possibility, with the possible exception of #7.  But I said possible exception.  Remember.  The idea here is to dream bigger!

Cya tomorrow for WIMHW,
M

What I ate today and how I exercised:

Breakfast ~ Leftover 2 potato beet hash w/ one poached egg and sprouted grain toast
Lunch ~ A kitchen sink salad and tomato soup
Snack ~ Chobani fat free vanilla yogurt w/fresh strawberries and raspberries
Dinner ~ Boca Burger on a multi-grain sandwich round
Exercise ~ It's getting nice out.  I am going for a walk after dinner.

5 comments:

  1. I really relate to this. Since my transplant, I've been able to do things I never could or even thought I would. Even if it amounts to nothing much by other people's standards, these little achievements are thrilling. You'll do it and you will feel really great when you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am particularly fond of number 3 (what a surprise!). I'd love to do that with you, revisit places I know and love, and discover others I've never been to. For this one our bucket lists collide and I hope one of these days we can enjoy together. For numbers 4 and 5 you are on your own! (Ok - maybe not on your own but without doubt without me!) F

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I suspect my other half would suggest combining numbers 1 and 3! F

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan, I should have known that you, of all people, would relate. As always, thanks for the support.

    F, I'd be honored to have an actual European as a tour guide! But come on! Jump out of a plane with me! Tab already did her jump.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, hon, but we can't patronize Six Flags until they eliminate their animal attraction...

    ReplyDelete