Thursday, May 31, 2012

Food Thursday 05.31.12

I am sure everyone has that person at their barbecue who doesn't like mayonnaise or is worried that all the salads will spoil in summer heat and a plague will sweep across the land as a result.  I, for one, like mayo and I have never been all that concerned with the monster from Alien popping out of me because I ate some tainted tater salad.  The new and more health-minded me does however seek out alternatives to the goopy, creamy, non-complex carb loading that most picnics induce.  Which is why I recently revisited a recipe I came up with years ago to make it more 'fit friendly'.  That's what we're are all about here at TDT195, isn't it?  Eat yourself thinner, as I like to say.  Of course, all things in moderation but here is a macaroni salad recipe that is full of fiber, low in fat and 100% delicious.


Four Bean and Macaroni Salad
How do you make macaroni sound better and charge more for it?  Call it pasta.  Let's face it, no one would pay $15 a plate for macaroni, but call it pasta and it's all gourmet 'n stuff.  Well, I will stick with macaroni salad.  Unpretentious and tasty macaroni salad.  I haven't run the numbers on this dish, but it sticks with my philosophy of not making myself crazy over calories, as long as I know what the ingredients are.  Feel free to play with the balance of ingredients to your taste.  Add what you like.  Quartered artichoke hearts or cannellini beans might be nice additions.  Like the TV painter Bob Ross said, "It's your world.  You make it as you like."


Ingredients:

  • 1/2 lb. uncooked whole grain elbow macaroni, fusilli or any shape you like.  Use a good quality brand like Bionaturae.  It makes a difference.
  • 3 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 1/2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp dried basil
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
  • 1 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 15oz. can of three bean salad, drained.  I prefer Hanover Four Bean salad, but I found the Green Giant to be a good replacement.
  • 1/2 15oz. can of chick peas, rinsed (chick peas not needed if using the Hanover Four Bean Salad)
  • 1/2 cup sliced roasted sweet red peppers (rinsed if from a jar)
  • 1 3.8oz. can sliced black olives, drained
  • 1/2 cup fresh basil thinly sliced



Method:

  • Cook your macaroni to al dente, as per the brand's instructions.  
  • Combine ingredients extra virgin olive oil through Dijon in a small jar or tightly sealed container.  Shake vigorously, until homogeneous or get a workout and whisk, whisk, whisk.
  • Drain the pasta and combine all ingredients, while the macaroni is still hot, except the fresh basil
  • Refrigerate (overnight is best), mix in fresh basil and serve


Cya tomorrow,
M


What I ate today and how I exercised:
Breakfast ~ Kashi 7 Grain Nuggets w/banana, fresh berries, toasted almonds and skim milk
Lunch ~ Chicken Caesar salad w/o croutons
Dinner ~ Broiled salmon over carrots, broccoli and spinach
Exercise ~ I played 9 holes of pitch and and putt golf with my godson and best friend.  Man, I suck at golf anymore.





No comments:

Post a Comment