Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Blessed Are the Children, For They Shall Inherit Your Girth

While waiting for a customer today, I glanced down at the coffee table to see the current edition of NJ Business Magazine.  On the cover was an article decrying the obesity epidemic in the US.  Being the now health-minded seeker   o' knowledge that I am, I picked it up and started reading as inconspicuously as I could...as inconspicuous as a 300+ lb. man sunken into a garage sale reject couch, feet practically pointing toward the sky, can be.  I didn't want to be the subject of whispers in their office, "Looks like a fat guy dropped from the sky and landed on our couch.  We'll never get him out of there.  And he was reading a magazine about obesity!  MWAHAHAHA!"  Okay.  So I exaggerate a tad.  But you get the idea.  I still want to blend in to the background sometimes.


It surprised me that a small business magazine would devote their precious space to such an article.  The information inside gave countless compelling facts about how widespread the issue is and it's only getting worse.  My surgeon, Dr Abkin, not Dr Bambam, was featured within.  He spoke of how diabetes is the major concern related to health and that 50% of the US will have diabetic symptoms by the year 2020.  Are you kidding me?  FIFTY PERCENT!


What struck me most in the short four pages were the statistics.  I've thrown some at you all before, but here are some staggering ones.  Before 1996 (Not that long ago, folks!), there were ZERO states that had an obesity rate over 20%.  If you are a regular reader, or just a smarty pants, you know that obesity is having a BMI (Body Mass Index) over 30.  The Center for Disease Control reported in 2010 that ALL states have a rate of 20% or higher.  New Jersey shows a current obesity rate among adults of 32% ...and we are the 7th best in the country!


What I find very sad is the ever rising rate of obesity among children.  You may be aware that I do not have any of my own.  That won't stop me from being concerned for yours. I do love the little buggers...usually.  However, I won't claim to be an expert on them.  What I am an expert on is obesity, apathy and food addiction.  I was studying hard on those subjects for nearly forty years.  Studies show that children of active adults tend to be more active themselves.  Children whose parents eat a wide variety of fruits, vegetables and lean proteins will do so themselves.  If you want your children to have any chance of avoiding ill health and obesity, you have to set a good example.  So please, exercise with your kids or on your own.  Encourage them to be active.  Hell, bribe them if you must.  Make meals a learning experience on good habits.  They aren't being taught good nutrition in school.  Unplug the damn PlayStation, Wii or Xbox when you go to work this summer and get your kids outside.  Their lives may depend on it.  If you think I am overstating it, look me up in ten years and tell me how they are doing.


Cya tomorrow,
M


Here is what I ate today and how I exercised:
Breakfast ~ One fried egg, left over steak and sprouted grain toast
Lunch ~ Yet more of the mammoth turkey sandwich on pumpernickel
Dinner ~ Stir fried crispy tofu, cabbage, carrots, shiitakes, sprouts and other good stuff in a spicy sauce with brown rice.
Exercise ~ Mall walking



3 comments:

  1. Long after I saw it I remember an episode of some weight loss, or good eating show of some sort I watched a few years ago when the host went through the participant's pantry (I was inclined to say victim but that somehow didn't work). As the host was commenting on the junk (cheese puffs, chips, cookies etc.etc.) the woman said - "but they are not mine, they are for my kids". To which the host asked "ok - so you want to kill your kids?". Made me think twice at the time, or more than twice.... Still working on it, but I am working on it. F

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK - I seem to make it a habit of commenting twice on one post. So here goes. I am hoping my boys' activity will wear off on me this summer. With two running track and one running in hopes of making the high school soccer team I am hoping I will at least start walking (I can dream of running but am trying to keep it real) around the track with them. I can fit in some me time - right?? F

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comment all you like, sis. And yes, you can make time.

    ReplyDelete