Tuesday, May 1, 2012

I'm In Good Company

I am apt to follow food related posts, magazines and bloggers on my various social media sites.  One such following is Food Republic.  Some of Food Republic's principles are that if you eat better, you will live better.  Also, people can be confident in the kitchen without being experts and that the internet is just the start of a larger conversation.  They line up pretty good with TDT195's core values.  Today, Food Republic featured someone who is somewhat of a food icon and his new book.  Most of you won't know this fellow, but he has been a food writer for the last 18 years or so, at a small town paper called The New York Times.  His name is Peter Kaminsky.

I picked up his new book today via Amazon.  I do not own a Kindle, however I purchased 'Culinary Intelligence, The Art of Eating Healthy (and Really Well)' as my first ever e-book.   The profile of the author seemed to mimic the very tenets of this blog.  He spoke of how his 'occupational hazard' was high cholesterol and obesity.  When faced with serious weight gain, Lipitor and the onset of diabetes, he decided that enough was enough.  He could do better for himself and still eat well.

Kaminsky's mission statement for his new venture includes the following guidelines.  1. He doesn't eat processed foods, white sugar or white flour and abstains from white potatoes and white rice, 2. Buy the best tasting most wholesome ingredients you can afford and 3. You need to either now how to cook or live with someone who can.  Sound familiar?  Damn Skippy it sounds familiar!  It is was I have been preaching, living and benefiting from, for the last 86 days.  The only difference I see so far is that this fine fellow gets 26 bucks a pop for the information.  I don't begrudge him one iota.  It's a great message.  No dieting.  Live well.  Eat well.

While he has written , so-called, diet books before, he says this is not one of them.  It is a book of stories, and his healthy eating strategies.  Some his previous offerings prescribe dogma that I may not necessarily buy into, but this seems different.  In the little I have digested thus far, it seems balanced.  One example that I liked is his shunning of typical 'caloric mathematics'.  For example, "I'll eat this cupcake and just spend more time on the tread mill to make up for it."  Those equations, seldom, if ever work out and invariably it is merely a justification for indulgence with no extra workout ever resulting from the offense.

Congratulations, Mr. Kaminsky on your revelations and your life changing decisions that fly in the face of your successful career.  I will be reading your book over the upcoming days from both my phone and laptop.  (God, I really want an IPAD.)  I won't likely agree with all you have to say , but what I have read so far is sobering.  It is good to know that I and my principles are in good company.

Cya tomorrow, my dear readers,
M

What I ate today and how I exercised:

Breakfast ~ 2 Eggs, some lean ham and multi grain toast w/ a scraping of Earth Balance spread

Snack ~ Blueberry Chobani fat free Greek yogurt

Lunch ~ A Multi grain wrap with sliced chicken, mesclun greens, piquillo pepper and roasted eggplant w/a smear of sherry vinaigrette.

Snack ~ Nut, soy and corn snack mix from shut your Whole Foods Market (That's what the wife and I call it, anyway.)

Dinner ~ Whole grain spaghetti w/Amy's Family Marinara and Morningstar Farms' vegetarian meat crumbles

Exercise ~ none

3 comments:

  1. Mike - My philosophy for quite some time has been to eliminate processed foods. Have we been entirely succesful? NO. But I truly believe that is the way to go. Well done on what you have accomplished. F

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - and just so there is no doubt - there is always room for me to make a batch or two of shortbread each year no matter how processed. It just is not a weekly or monthly thing.

    ReplyDelete