Wednesday, May 2, 2012

What's In My Head Wednesday 05.02.12

On Wednesdays I give myself an opportunity to talk about my feelings.  No.  I don't want to sit around a campfire and sing Kumbaya with you.  That might lead to smores and wieners on sticks and before you know it, I'm just another whiny fat guy with nothing to write about and feeling sorry for himself.  When you feel sorry for yourself, you tend to drink and that costs money.  I haven't much money and I would probably wind up knocking over a liquor store to support my habit.   I certainly am too delicate to serve hard time.  So what have we learned here?  Don't sing Kumbaya. 


Fasting and Furious


Did you just hear that screaming, laced with expletives that would embarrass even Ozzie Osborne?  That was me ripping off my bandage from this morning's vampire feeding.  I wrote last week how I was going to have my annual blood tests to make sure all was still in good order.  Today was that day.  Fasting shouldn't have been an issue, but throw in the fact that I didn't sleep well (My dog's don't know that 3AM is not normal potty time.) and my blood draw wasn't until 11:30 today, it makes even my normally cherub-like demeanor, less cherubic. (Thanks, John Pinette)


I got to the LabCorp facility and was greeted by a nice enough lady, who pushed her clipboard my way from her glass cage and mumbled something resembling English.  I'm a good boy.  I took the clipboard and filled out the paperwork, wondering if I had just perhaps consented to participating in some special they were having on anal probes.  I just wouldn't turn my back on them, that's all.  I was then informed that I would have to fill the old Dixie cup.  Since I wasn't foretold of needing a sample, I left mine at home.  The short of it was, they got their Mike water after running the faucet for a few minutes and concentrating, reeeally hard.


I was surprised to be seated in the kid's cubical.  Perhaps Nurse Mumbles detected my diminished affability and brought there to look at the pictures of Mickey, Tigger and the cast of Cars, while she fished around in my arm for a vein.  "I got eet.  No vorries.  Eeez just deep, but eeez good."  I knew I should have been leery of a phlebotomist with a Transylvanian accent.  After she bled me out of 5 vials, she smacked that snappy Garfield Band-Aid you see above on my soon to be bruised arm...apparently with Krazy Glue.  Not a good morning.  I was glad I was in my car alone, because I would not be very good company.


By noon I wasn't exactly light-headed from hunger, but a food addict's Devil looks for opportunities like this to take advantage and reel him back in. (In case you are wondering, my devil lives on my right shoulder.)  I had to be off to get some work done and didn't prepare for what I would eat.  I opted for fast food.  I asked the nice lady at Burger King, who sounded like Nurse Vampire Mumbles' cousin, for a plain hamburger and grilled chicken Caesar salad.  The burger was supposed to serve as my 260 calorie treat for not having eaten in 18 hours and not going off the deep end.  What I got, was indeed, a plain burger.  Dry meat and a bun.  Not what I had planned on, but my fault.  I guess I over-explained in the hopes she wouldn't offer me cheese.  So much for my treat.  The new Desert Burger at BK isn't going to be a sensation, trust me.  As for the salad, I left out the croutons, used about 2/5 of the dressing and gobbled that sucker down.  If I had to estimate my caloric intake, I'd say about 530 calories.  In the stressed mindset I was in, I done good.  Despite the fact that I was reasonably under my normal total for this time of day, I still felt like I cheated somewhat, ordering two items at a fast food restaurant.  I guess the devil wants me to feel bad, so I'll chuck it away.  Not today, I won't.  Stay the course, Mike.  Stay the course.  I am trying hard these past few months not to let stress dictate my eating habits.  I have 48 years of programming to undo in that department.  I need either a stress ball or a puppy.  Let me check my iPhone.  There has to be an app for that.


Cya tomorrow,
M


What I ate today and how I exercised:
Breakfast ~ none
Lunch ~ One dry hamburger and a chicken Caesar salad.
Snack ~ Decaf hazelnut coffee with fat free half and half
Dinner ~ Un-turkey pita sandwich and a small salad.
Exercise ~ My friend Alex was gong to pick me up so we could walk.  The weather had other ideas.  None today.





2 comments:

  1. I could have a puppy in the house by the weekend!!! - Tabitha

    ReplyDelete