Thursday, May 17, 2012

Food Thursday 05.17.12

Since I have started this quest for sveltness, I have pondered the old adage, "Treat your body as a temple."  So, I am trying.  The current shape that my body is in bears such a resemblance to the chubby smiling guy, I am pretty sure it is a Buddhist temple.  I am ever mindful of what I ingest and without preaching, I think you should to.  And that is what Food Thursday is about.  As I say each week, if you want to lose weight and stay healthy, you should make the majority of your meals at home.  Not from a box or bag, but from scratch with the best ingredients your money can buy. 


Today, a few things to enhance flavor and keep your palate interested.  This is of extreme importance to sticking with the program.  Keeping the flavor at optimum levels is essential to looking forward to, and enjoying, your healthy meals.  I generally use something spicy to kick things into high gear, as it can be done with minimal amounts of sodium, fat or additives.  The ingredients I am highlighting today are are always on hand in my house, ever ready to come off the bench to and hit one out of the park when the regular roster of ingredients falls just a tad short.


Dijon Mustard
I do adore mustard, especially Dijon.  I have tried several brands and my 'go to' is always Grey Poupon or as it was affectionately known in my home growing up, Poop.  Mustard, to me, is a freebie.  At only 5 calories per tablespoon and devoid of the dreaded High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) most ketchup and bbq sauces have, mustard adds a spicy and slightly vinegary note to sandwiches and salad dressings and makes a kick arse glaze on chicken or lean pork.  In salad dressings, mustard works not only as a zippy flavoring agent, it is a great emulsifier, keeping your dressings well blended while stored in the fridge.  


Here is a version of my family's "Poop Sauce", which makes a incredible addition to chicken breast or a grilled pork loin.  Use it liberally, as it will fall off somewhat on the grill, but the charred bits that make it to your plate are intoxicating.  Feel free to brush some on several times during the cooking process.  For each pound of meat use 1/4 cup of Dijon mustard.  Add 1 Tbs of reduced sodium soy sauce, 1 clove of minced garlic and 1 Tbs of chopped rosemary, preferably fresh.  Mix it all up and coat your meat of choice.  When grilling, make sure you use a clean, hot and well oiled grill, for best results.  This is a MUCH healthier alternative to sugary bbq sauces which usually contain HFCS and has minimal calories for maximum flavor.


Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
Chipotle peppers are smoked dried jalapenos.  Bobby Flay refers to them as being like spicy raisins.  In the adobo sauce, which is slightly vinegary, sweet, and tomatoey, these gems also give huge taste impact for minimum damage to your caloric intake.  While not my brand of choice, Goya can be found in just about any store and once open, will keep a long time in your fridge while tightly sealed in a container.  They say 2 Tbs is a serving, but I find you need much less.  A 2 Tbs serving is slightly high in sodium, but if you are only using 1/2 Tbs or so, you should be okay in the salt department.


I use the chipotles in my Spicy Chipotle-Lime salad dressing (see Cooking Thursday 03.22.12) and my simple chipotle mayo.  Take 1 tsp of finely diced chipotle, 1 tsp of the adobo sauce and add it to 2 Tbs of lite mayo.  Use the lite mayo and not the fat free (Helmann's has the light blue label).  The fat free stuff does nothing to fix your mayo jones and it is kind of nasty.  This spread is perfect on almost any sandwich or a burger.


Salsa
It has been said that salsa has become the #1 condiment in the USA.  I can find data to support any one of three claims to this crown, but all I know is it that it is another example of most bang for your caloric buck.  Be sure to buy a quality salsa such as the one to the right here.  Some of the cheaper brands will be much higher in sodium and preservatives.  I love to add it to the top of my breakfast burrito or just mix a tablespoon with one beaten egg and nuke for about 45 seconds in a custard cup that is about 4-5 inches in diameter.  Enjoy on a whole grain sandwich round for an zesty egg sandwich that comes in around 180 calories.


Keep it flavorful folks.  You'll crave unhealthy choices much less frequently.  Set yourself up for success.  Add some spice to your life!


Cya Friday for the Day 100 Recap,
M


What I ate today and how I exercised:


Breakfast ~ 1 egg and 1 organic chicken apple sausage on a whole grain sandwich round.
Morning Snack ~ A friend gave me a ZonePerfect Dark Chocolate Almond bar.  Quite good!
Lunch ~ Lunch at a trade show buffet offered up a rubbery piece of chicken, limp Caesar salad and some decent marinated mushrooms.
Dinner ~ Boca Burger w/pickle, onion and  chipotle mayo on a whole grain sandwich round and an iced decaf with the last of my fat free half and half.
Exercise ~ On my feet much of the day at a trade show and a trip to Costco.

No comments:

Post a Comment