Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Souper Food: Kabocha Soup Recipe

Last winter I went on and on about how much I was digging a newfound favorite, kabocha squash.  Some call it a "super food", as it is rich in beta carotene and other essential nutrients.  I just like it because it tastes good.  I'm pretty basic when it comes to things like this. Nutritious, yet unflavorful?  No thanks. Healthy AND tasty, to boot?  Get me a spoon.

Kabocha, also called Japanese pumpkin or buttercup squash in the market, to me is like a fruitier version of a butternut squash.  I get hints of cantaloupe both in the nose and on the palate, but I am a wine guy who overthinks these things.

The goal was to recreate a butternut squash soup served at Panera, but I had this kabocha staring at me on the counter.  They are interchangeable in this scenario, so kabocha it was.  I'd require a liquid, so vegetable broth was a good choice.  I would need richness. Now, most recipes would call for heavy cream, yet I opted for a mix of coconut milk and my old standby, fat free half and half.  The rest was easy.  I hope you will open your mind and try something new.  It will be fairly simple and well worth the effort.  Topping yours with either toasted pecans, walnuts, or pumpkin seeds will add another layer of texture and flavor to the party.

HELPFUL TIP: Kabocha can be a chore to dismantle.  I found that if I pierced it with a knife and microwaved the whole squash for 4 minutes, it came apart MUCH easier.  A grapefruit spoon was used to scoop out the seeds and the flesh was easy to separate from the skin with a knife.

Enjoy!
M

Creamy Kabocha Soup
serves 8

Ingredients

  • 2 Tbs Earth Balance Spread or butter, if you prefer
  • 1 small sweet onion, such as a Vidalia, diced (about 1/2 cup)
  • 1 tsp dried rosemary or 1 Tbsp fresh
  • 8 cups or 2 small diced kabocha squashes
  • 6 cups vegetable broth or chicken stock
  • 6 oz. coconut milk
  • 6 oz. fat free half and half
  • 1 tsp of your favorite hot sauce.  I like Frank's Red Hot.
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Method


  1. Using a large enough pot for about 1 gallon of liquid, melt the butter spread and add in the rosemary and onions, cooking the onions until tender.  About 5 minutes.
  2. Add in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes.  It may appear the there is curdling on top.  Don't worry.  It's fine.  
  3. You may need to do this in batches.  Blend the ingredients until smooth.  ONLY FILL YOUR BLENDER 2/3 AT A TIME, BE SURE TO REMOVE THE CENTER CAP FROM YOUR BLENDER LID AND COVER WITH A TOWEL.  HOT LIQUIDS EXPAND AND CAN EXPLODE WHEN BLENDED.  SEE THIS VIDEO ~ Blender Blunder
  4. You can reduce this more if you would like the soup thicker. Adjust seasoning and serve by topping with your choice of toasted nuts or pumpkins seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment