Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving Post Game



I give thanks in these pages quite often, so I won't bore you with all of the things I am thankful for.  You can turn to your Facebook page for all of those folks that whine 364 days of the year, only to become magically introspective once annually in November.  Then, within hours, they rush out the next day to trample each other, looking for more stuff to be grateful for.  Yesterday I was just happy to not do too much damage and give a nice, "healthier" meal to my family.  I put that in quotes because we all over-indulge and that's not exactly prudent, but I was at least mindful to provide better choices for the gorging.  Pictured left, is my first plate of food from yesterday's festivities.

It's a lot of work cooking for seven people.  I will say that with less fattening dishes the load was lighter.  Healthier food means simpler food and my day was made easier as a result.  This is the first year in the last eleven that I didn't fry my turkey or make two, one fried and one roasted.  I made no elaborate appetizer and/or soup course and gone were the traditional Pillsbury Crescent Rolls.  Just the basics this year.  Below is a list of menu items from our table yesterday.

When my guests arrived, we snacked on some shrimp cocktail platters from Costco.  Dinner commenced a little under two hours later with salad dressed in homemade balsamic pesto vinaigrette, roasted turkey, a very light, but damn tasty gravy, mashed potatoes and celery root, roasted carrots, white sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, parsnips, onions and garlic cloves.  There was my Thanksgiving Dirty Rice, a whole grain loaf of bread and my sister brought a small batch of Mom's stuffing for those that love it so.  I tasted a mere forkful to help her with the seasoning, but other than that, I steered clear.  The same holds true for an ancient can of cranberry jelly which was lurking in the cupboard.  I literally just had a taste.

So, now I have sent the metabolically offensive items home with Sis and I am left with a decent amount of leftovers.  Today it's time to get creative and see how I can re-purpose them.  Here is my breakfast.  This is a turkey hash with roasted sweet potatoes, onions and carrots, topped with a perfectly poached egg and whole grain toast.  Mmmm mmmmm good!


Tonight is Round 2 of the dietary obstacle course, my thirtieth high school reunion.  I'll check back in tomorrow and let you know how it went.

Cya then,
M

No comments:

Post a Comment