Wednesday, November 21, 2012

This Week in Food: Healthier Mashed Potatoes

Who doesn't love mashed potatoes?  I adore them and can't imagine a Thanksgiving without them.  I usually load up on the stuffing and the potatoes and just have a little of everything else.  When I think that a 2/3 cup serving of mashed has 183 calories and 9.1g fat (5.7 saturated fat), I know there has to be a better way.  What I came up with not only cuts the calories down to 109 for the same 2/3 cup serving, but knocks the fat down to 2.6g fat, only 0.7 of which is saturated.  One secret to great mashed potatoes is a potato ricer.  It makes them fluffy, light and much easier to fold in your buttery spread and half and half.  I know you have already done your shopping for tomorrow, so give these a try sometime soon, won't you?  I know you'll be happy with the results.

Mashed Potatoes with Celery Root
serves 15

Ingredients

  • 3 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced into 1" chunks
  • 2 lbs. Celery root, peeled and cut into 1" chunks
  • 1 cup of fat free half and half (try using Skim Plus brand or any that doesn't have high fructose corn syrup)
  • 1/4 cup Earth Balance Original Whipped Buttery Spread
  • 2 Tbs, plus 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper


Method

  • In a large pot, place your potatoes and celery root and cover with cold water and 2 Tbs salt.  Most of the salt will go down the drain with the water.  Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender.
  • While your potatoes cook, heat your remaining ingredients in a small sauce pan until the spread melts.  Do not boil.
  • Once the potato mixture is cooked, completely drain and return to the pot and heat over medium flame to cook off excess moisture (about 1-2 minutes)
  • Using a potato ricer, rice the potatoes into a large serving vessel.
  • Blend in the half and half mixture and adjust seasoning.


You can use a mixer or potato masher, but I find the ricer was a great small investment and is one of the few unitaskers in my kitchen.  Some people like lumpy mashed potatoes   If you are one of them, don't bother with the ricer.

I hope this dish finds its way to your table sometime soon.  Enjoy your holidays, folks.

All the best,
M

What I ate today and how I exercised:
Breakfast ~ Western omelet, no cheese and wheat toast
Lunch ~ If you want to call it lunch, I picked while at Costco from the freebies
Dinner ~ TBD, but likely whole grain pasta and marinara
Exercise ~ None

1 comment: