Friday, September 21, 2012

Food Thursday: 09.20.12

Hello out there, food fans.  I wanted to fire this off last night, on a Thursday, but a off-standard Thursday night Giant game got in the way.  But pretend for me, if you will, that today is still Food Thursday.  Are you ready for some recipe schoolin'?  I've got a good one for you today.  These seven ingredients to the left make it simply perfect.  Pardon the blurry picture.  My food stylist is off to Milan this week.

It's fig season and I got some last week for The Wife, who is a huge fan. I wanted to include them in a salad and decided to whip up a special dressing.  The Wife didn't dig the figs in the salad, I did.  All at the table agreed though that the salad dressing was the bomb diggety.  To say I loved this salad dressing may have been an understatement.  I was referring to it as "the best ever" for a few days.  Not one to get caught up in superlatives, we'll just call it "one of the best ever."

Fig Vinaigrette
Serves 4

This dressing has a sweet and acidic flavor that goes great with your softer, more tender greens, such as a pre-packaged spring mix, mesclun greens or Bibb lettuce (aka, butter or Boston lettuce).  If you can afford some extra fat/calories, a smattering of crumbled bleu cheese would be spectacular, as would some toasted pecans.  I will go with some fat free feta, myself.  The fig infused balsamic is easily obtained at your grocer and is only $2.99 at my local Stop 'n Shop.  On a scale of 1-10 for ease of preparation, this is a 1.

Ingredients

  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 2 Tbs. fig infused balsamic vinegar
  • 2 Tbs honey
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
  • 1/2 tsp. onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
  • 1/2 Tbs. Dijon mustard


Method 

  • Combine all ingredients in a jelly jar or a small, well sealed container.  
  • Shake vigorously to emulsify.  
  • Adjust the salt, pepper, or honey to your taste.
Cya next time,
M

What I ate Thursday and how I exercised:
Breakfast ~ Pumpkin Flax Granola and almond milk
Lunch ~ Rotisserie chicken sandwich on whole grain toast w/tomato, lettuce and chipotle lite mayo
Dinner ~ Stuffed pepper and whole grain pasta, some bread with EVOO
Exercise ~ 2.8 miles around the lake




No comments:

Post a Comment