Saturday, September 15, 2012

Hypocrite?


When buying the car last week I ran into some issues with things that needed to be taken care of if I were to stand by my purchase and not return it.  The dealership was great and agreed to new tires, brakes and a battery at their expense.  If you need a car, I can recommend a excellent place.  


I was told to ask for the service manager to facilitate the improvements to the car.  When I got there, he greeted me at the door with a firm hand shake and a smile.  Let's call him Fred.  Fred was very well dressed, like all of their employees, in a sharp tie and well pressed, bright white shirt.  Very professional.  He was also at least 400 pounds.  This is where the hypocrisy comes in.

Let's look at the sales manager that negotiated the sale of the car.  He was dressed as well and was equally as gracious.  We will call him Ted.  Ted was affable, had the same strong handshake and immediately gave me a sense of capability and strength.  Ted was also quite fit.  Fred exemplified all of the same qualities that Ted did, yet I didn't get the same 'warm fuzzy' from him that Ted exuded.  I was guilty of the same unfair perceptions that I have fallen victim to over all these years.

While Ted didn't need to earn my trust, but through the same qualities on a thinner frame set me at ease, my perception of Fred was one that he would have to prove himself before I could feel that I would be properly taken care of.  I am truly ashamed of these innate responses that have no basis in reality.  Why is it that so many us of feel that obese people aren't as good or as capable as their lighter colleagues?  I've silently lamented this mistreatment for years now, only to be proven a hypocrite in the end.  When you think about it, the likes of Winston Churchill and Orson Wells achieved great things and were considered to be of the best at what they did.  So why the knee-jerk reaction to meeting someone of size?

My one saving grace is that I am able to look at this duplicity with some level of objectivity and move to change.  Others may not be able to be as introspective, not having the experience of being grossly overweight (grossly in the sense of an extreme, mind you).  I'll be working on trying to stay on top of these reactions to my fellow large peeps and encourage you all to do the same.  Until I fix this however, I will have to bear the label of hypocrite.

Cya Sunday,
M

What I ate Friday and how I exercised:
Breakfast ~ Grape-Nuts cereal w/craisins and almond milk
Lunch ~ Gazspacho soup and a grilled salmon spinach salad
Dinner ~ Leftover Thai pork stew over brown rice
Exercise ~ none

1 comment:

  1. Your candidness and honesty hits a target I think for many, myself included. Mike, you continue to enlighten me, make me laugh, cry, but most of all think. Not my everyday mundane thinking, but really think about myself. Thank you for always opening up my eyes when they start to get fuzzy...

    ReplyDelete