Saturday, September 22, 2012

Gravity Sucks

I knew this day would come.  In many ways it's a harbinger of good things to look forward to.  Like the first flower in spring or when you see a those initial leaves turning in fall, signaling the blaze of colors that will soon paint the landscape.  This, however, isn't as pretty or majestic. Yup.  I'm definitely seeing signs of my skin being so loose it hangs in a very unattractive way.

A few weeks back I noticed that I had some wrinkling around the ankles.  Much like that old commercial for pantyhose, where the little girl exclaims to her mother "Look, Mommy.  Your legs are just like the elephant's!" as she points to Mom's bunched up nylons.  Yeah.  I'm getting that too, little girl.  Problem is, I don't have on any pantyhose.  It's just my own skin pooling around the ankles.

While in a restroom recently (don't worry, this doesn't get awkward), after washing my hands, I had to use one of those dreaded air hand dryers.  Do they have these in ladies' rooms, too?  I don't think you women would put up with having a jet engine blasting out any shred of moisture from inside your skin, while doing nothing for the wet hands you'll be wiping on your shirttails in a few seconds.  Not to mention the devastation to the coif.  While baking my hands under the wind tunnel of uselessness, I saw the skin rolling around my wrists, like a skydiving Shar-pei.  While kind of cool, you'd rather watch it happen on someone else's body.

I won't even get into specifics on body parts below the surface of my clothes, but I feel like Batman when I raise my arms.  A good wind might take me like a kite on a beach.  Pretty soon skin will be so loose, it will be at the mercy of the pull of the moon.  I'll know when it's high tide by the waves of skin gently lapping below my undergarments...perhaps, gulls circling overhead.  Hey, Fruit of the Loom guys!  Grab your boards.  Surfs up!

Hopefully this is just another motivation to keep moving in the right direction, pushing me to the point where I can get it all removed and go on with my life as a fit person, comfortable in my own skin.  I have an inkling there will always be underlying mental discomfort from the residual effects of being so large, but in the end, it's not a bad problem to have, getting used to being thin.  Until then, I'll try to embrace gravity as a well-intentioned, if not inevitable, reminder of what's ahead.

Cya Sunday,
M

What I ate and how I exercised:
Breakfast ~ Pumpkin Flax granola w/almond milk
Lunch ~ I had the most amazing tuna tartar appetizer, and beef with scallions and brown rice.
Snack ~ carrots and hummus
Dinner ~ Steak w/grilled red pepper, scallions and a salad, dressed in my fig vinaigrette (see yesterday's blog)
Exercise ~ none


1 comment:

  1. I can't help but admire the imagery in this post. H.

    ReplyDelete