Saturday, October 6, 2012

Why Today?

I am heading up to partake in one of my friend Ray's Octoberfest parties that occur weekly at his lake house in Connecticut.  As I have mentioned several times, I will be making a one day exception to the no meat/no alcohol rule for October.  I am very much looking forward to partaking of the grilled meats, chili, sausages and the six pack of Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest beer I picked up.  When I step back and look at it, I have to wonder why?  To paraphrase my Jewish friends at Passover, "How is this day different from all other days?"

I've been giving great thought to how Thanksgiving will be spent this year.  I am looking to come up healthier recipes to replace the normal deep fried turkey, Mom's stuffing (perhaps my favorite food on the planet), buttery mashed potatoes, etc.  There will be no substitute for Pillsbury crescent rolls I butter up and thrown down my pie hole like a death row glutton.  How does that Thursday, now just six weeks away, differ from today in terms of gustatorial debauchery?  I am not looking to gorge myself later today when I hit the deck at Ray's, but I have been reeeeaally looking forward to the food.  I know for one thing, Thanksgiving means enough leftovers to feed the Duggar clan for a week.  I guess there is one big difference.  Perhaps another reason is that Thanksgiving has turned more into being about the food than about family and giving thanks.  Today was designed to be about the food and drink.

I'm not sure I will rectify this quandary before before hitting celebration at Ray's, but I will be giving it some more serious thought on the scenic drive up there.  Hopefully that reflection will cause me to tread lighter on the buffet.  Perhaps I will bring a cigar or two to occupy my hands and mouth, rather than lifting a kielbasa off the food table.  The cigar is certainly more attractive than walking around waving a pigsicle between my fingers.  I'll let you know on Sunday how I did.

Cya then,
M

What I ate Friday and how I exercised:
Breakfast ~ Kashi Go Lean Crisp cereal w/almond milk
Lunch ~ sushi with my best friend Doug, to celebrate his birthday. Oh...and some tom yum soup and a fortune cookie
Dinner ~ whole grain pasta w/marinara, veggie 'meat' crumbles and some parmigiano cheese
Snack ~ fresh mango on the couch with The Wife
Exercise ~ none

No comments:

Post a Comment