Wednesday, June 27, 2012

What's In My Head Wednesday


Midweek is here and that means WIMHW once again.  Here you will find what is on my mind.  Well, at least the stuff I am willing to share.  A dude is entitled to some secrets, right?  I do throw more out there than most I suppose.  Let's get to it then...




Tomato, Tomahto
See this little red gem?  It is the first mater from my lonely tomato plant .  I wrote earlier this year that I was thinking about buying a large container to garden in.  It was more like a garden trough.  Unfortunately, they were on back-order until July, so I opted for a singular plant that came in its own pot and frame to hold it up as it grows.  I guess it looks like a little Eiffel Tower with a plant growing through the middle.  At $12 for the plant, I'll more than break even on the savings...assuming the rest grow bigger than a golf ball.  Tomatoes have gotten out of hand, price-wise.  I've also got some basil plants in a container.  Rather than buying bunches of basil, I would buy those plants they sell at the grocer and, until recently, kept three on my kitchen window sill.  Now they keep the tomatoes company outside.  Just call me Mr. Greenjeans.  It feels good to grow stuff.


Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution
I saw a show on ABC last year in which Jamie Oliver of "The Naked Chef" fame took on a West Virginia school system's cafeteria offerings.  I noticed today that the whole series is being re-run on BBC America.  If you get this channel in your TV package, check out this series.  What I find amazing is not only the garbage that schools are feeding our kids, but the resistance to change from administrators.  Jamie is an inspiring guy that could easily be the a spokesperson for TDT195.  In recent years he has decided to use his celebrity to educate people on both sides of the Atlantic about healthy cooking.  The program premiers on BBC America on Tuesday, July 10 at 8PM.  Check your local channel line-up.


I Don't Wanna Look
Walking into the Walgreen's tonight I got a good glimpse of myself on the security cam.  It was a head-to-toe perspective of me walking into the store in my new khaki slacks and a golf shirt.  I thought I looked good when I left the house.  I winced though when I saw the myself on the screen.  I'm still quite large and it's painful for me to look at.  I am in a much better place than I was 5 months ago, but I have a ways to go yet.  The difference is, I am eager to get there instead of dreading the journey.  Thanks for coming along.


Cya Thursday for a great smoothie recipe,
M


What I ate today and how I exercised:
Breakfast ~ Kashi 7 Grain Nuggets w/ half a banana, toasted pecans and almond milk
Lunch ~ Whole grain pasta with marinara sauce, sauteed onions and peppers, and a chopped up up chicken burger
Snack ~ Some beef jerky
Dinner ~ Chicken corn soup and some vegetable maki (sushi)
Exercise ~ none

No comments:

Post a Comment