Wednesday, June 6, 2012

WIMHW 06.06.12

Here we are at something like Wednesday number 18...maybe 19.  I have lost track.  Hump day is one of reflection on what is whirling in my brain.  I find it therapeutic to have to come up with these topics, because once I zero in on something, stuff starts to pour out of me.  And once it is down here in my virtual diary, I always have it to go back to.  Here are a few things I have been pondering the last few days and one that just came across my path moments before this entry.


Poor Dude.  I Know How You Feel
A year or so ago I clicked 'Like' on Facebook for The Today Show.  I think they were giving away iPads at the time.  I still don't have one, if someone wants to make me their boy toy and shower me with gifts.  Anyway, as a result of the click, I get snippets of stories on my Facebook wall.  This one breaks my heart, but I know where this guy is at.  Three years ago, David Smith gained national attention as the 650 lb. Virgin on TLC.  They documented his loss of over 400 lbs.  Handsome and fit, he was interviewed on The Today Show, triumphant and determined to stay healthy.  One problem though, he lost the weight, but didn't fix his thinking.  He was ill-equipped to deal with being a new person.  When there is such a drastic change in one's self, you feel like a you are in someone else's body and you look for ways to cope.  He ultimately turned back to food and regained 300 lbs, 250 of it in 2 short years.  Basically he has undone much of what he had accomplished.  Sound familiar?  This is the true meaning of empathy.  I know where you are coming from, David.  My thoughts are with you as you are fighting once again to regain your glory.  You are lucky to have your girlfriend stick with you and support you.  I am sure this has all been very painful for her to watch.  You did it once.  I hope you work both your body and mind to be ultimately successful this time around.  Here is a link to the story:  http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/06/12085273-after-weight-gain-650-pound-virgin-back-to-the-gym?lite


Gym Dandy
I am seriously considering a gym membership.  I can set aside my embarrassment over my appearance and bite the bullet.  My coworker and reader here, P, told me of his current program and it sounds appealing.  While P is one of those Paleo people I wrote about in Tuesday's post and is very fit and lean, that doesn't scare me.  Crossfit apparently is for all levels of fitness and as he described it to me, it is like a group personal training.  You have others at your level in the class and the workout is always changing, building and challenging.  That appeals to me.  I know that after this week's strenuous exercise and significant loss, I am ready to do something more.  A group of people in the same boat as I and serving as administers of accountability seems like just the ticket.  Crossfit or no, I think I will be in a gym sometime soon.


Looking Back
I sent out a call to my Facebook friends yesterday asking for pictures of myself for comparison sake.  Thanks to my friend and reader, K, I got a real eye opener.  I have mentioned before that I HATE having my picture taken, so I am pretty sure I had a few beers in me when I was smiling for the one he sent me.  I look like I am smuggling a tractor tire in my jeans and my face is like the full moon.  I will post it at 299 with a better picture of my current self.  If I can't see a difference from that picture taken in October of 2011, then I will have to be either blind or my body image issues are worse than I thought.


Cya tomorrow for Food Thursday,
M


What I ate today and how I exercised
Breakfast ~ Mike McMuffin: 1 fried egg, 1 chicken apple sausage on a sprouted grain English muffin
Lunch ~ Left over eggplant, tomato and beans over whole grain pasta
Mid-afternoon ~ Fat free peach yogurt
Dinner ~ TBD
Exercise ~ I am going to try to get some walking in after dinner.  I'll post tomorrow what I did.



2 comments:

  1. OK - nothing much to do with your story but since you mention ipads - sorry to say I don't have one to give away but just have to say that my two middle schoolers (courtesy of some grant I know nothing about) each get an ipad from HCPSS next year for school in place of textbooks. Make me feel old - oh yes.
    We are also looking at gym memberships that will benefit us "oldies" as much as my sons - still looking. But our hilly walk still works for me and our "clothes hanger" weight machine is cleared off and being used by me and the boys. Continued success to you and your followers (yes - me included). F

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you are getting something tangible out of your taxes, F. Congrats on that coat hanger. It's a nice one and I am glad to hear it is back in action!

    ReplyDelete