Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Check the Ego At the Door

When a decision was made to take the plunge and go the gym, I was determined that I would always check my ego at the door each time I worked out.  It's not an easy thing for me to do.  There are years of self-consciousness to undo, or at least push down inside of me.

The last three weeks haven't been overwhelmingly anxiety-ridden where workouts are concerned.  Although, the first day was a little stressful.  I had on some cotton gym shorts and a golf shirt.  Nothing fancy, but I was comfortable.  I was told to do some warm-ups, the first of which was to jog down about forty feet, while pumping my knees toward my chest.  Not much of a problem.  Then I had to jog down while kicking myself in the  butt with my heels.  Problem.  Oh my God!  Did you hear that?  No.  It wasn't a sonic boom from Mike running lightning fast.  It was his backfat and gut slapping against his ample frame.  There was an echoing around that open space reminiscent of a fourth of July fireworks finale.  It was then I realized this ego thing would be much harder than I expected.  Mortified, I sought out an immediate solution before my next session.  

I obtained some more appropriate undergarments to hold everything in place.  That purchase was a pride swallowing exercise, in and of itself.  But the objective was met and everything would be secured and silenced for the next session.  After all, fitness above dignity.

Fast forward twenty-one days to this week.  It's time to set my pride aside even more.  Until now, I was undergoing private workouts, albeit in the open gym, but the focus was on me.  My one-on-one fundamentals sessions are over and it's time to jump into the regular Crossfit classes.  These have a variety of people with a wide age range and levels of fitness.  I've seen women in their late fifties and guys in their twenties, all in one class.  Even with varying levels of fitness in these classes, I will clearly be the most hampered from doing the exercises in the same fashion as the others.  I will be tasked with scaled down versions for most of the maneuvers.  

The plan is to attend two classes per week from here on.  I suspect that each time I cross the threshold, there will be less baggage to leave on the outside.  I'll become more proficient and fit with every visit...or at least that is the plan.  I have to admit though, this Thursday, I'll be a little...no...a lot stressed about how I will appear to the others.  Will I slow them down?  Will I be a distraction?  The instructors assure me I won't be.  At least I know one thing.  The thumping beat will be from the music on the P.A., not the percussive noises of M.A.  Talk about trying to look on the bright side.

Cya tomorrow,
M

What I ate today and how I exercised:
Breakfast ~ One egg with salsa on a whole grain deli flat
Lunch ~ Tom Yum soup w/chicken and two maki rolls
Dinner ~ A lean ham and low fat provolone sandwich on whole grain Italian bread and sauteed spinach w/garlic and cannelini beans
Exercise ~ 20 minutes of dog walking

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there. You will inspire others around you from your sheer determination. Just remember how much better/more you are doing then the likes of people like me who are total slouches.

    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should never care what other people think of you. It's what you think of yourself that matters.

    ReplyDelete