Friday, August 31, 2012

A Royal Pain in the Neck

For months now I have been experiencing some neck pain.  It was a minor nuisance at first.  Then it got progressively more chronic.  I finally broke down and went to a certain chiropractor which my wife swears by.  She says he has 'healing hands' and is quite talented.  I had a not-so-great experience with a chiropractor some years ago, so I was skeptical.  I do, however, like this guy.  I saw some relief and "The Shaman", as I refer to him, was convinced it was the way I sit at my laptop, especially the twelve hours a week, or so, that I sit writing this blog.  I was more of the thinking that it's sleep related.

I've since modified my typing posture to see if The Shaman was right and perhaps I was wrong about the sleeping thing.  It hasn't gotten a whole lot better.  While I was going to the chiropractor, I did see some improvement, but twice a week at fifty dollars a pop, I was hoping for more.  I know I you can't put a price on feeling better, but at what amounts to over $400 per month, it would seem like I am getting a poor return on investment. 

This week I have been in a good deal of pain.  So much so that I haven't been back to my Crossfit gym.  It may be time to bring in the conventional types and perhaps get an MRI.  I certainly don't want to get healthier, only to find myself incapacitated.  Since I can still move and I am not a total invalid from the strain, I did manage today to get some exercise in for the first time this week.

I walked around the lake by my house.  It's been months since I did that.  Despite my neck issues, walking was a breeze.  I do not recall, ever, getting around the entire lake without stopping to rest.  Today it was a constant pace, with no breaks.  That is around 2.8 miles.  My lower back often feels a twinge early on, but today I felt nothing until around the 2 mile mark.  Even then it was minor.  I feel like I definitely accomplished something today.  It's a nice feeling to start the long weekend this way.  Next week I will consider it an accomplishment to get a doctor appointment to get this pain in my neck taken care of.  I'll keep you posted.

Cya next time,
M

What I ate today and how I exercised:
Breakfast ~ Egg MikeMuffin of 1 egg, 1 chicken sausage link and 1 multi-grain deli flat
Lunch ~ Chicken Caesar salad
Snack ~ Starbucks Grande Decaf Mocha Lite Frapaccino
Dinner ~ Pan seared tilapia over sauteed kale and while beans
Exercise ~ walked 2.8 miles  

1 comment:

  1. Feel better, but whatever you do, DON'T have any sort of surgery for it. That was my mistake. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete