Saturday, August 18, 2012

Chips, Chips and Missteps

The aftermath of a six hour poker marathon surrounds me as I write.  Tables and chairs that need to be broken down, an army of beer bottles to be dispatched to the recycling bin and chips that need a safe home away from my mindless old habits.  It's not the poker chips that are at issue.  I handle them purposefully and with care.  It's tortilla chips that I have little control over.  Pretzels and Smokehouse Almonds should fear for their lives as well.

I've always enjoyed entertaining, and with Brother Bill coming up for a weekend, I planned a Texas Holdem tourney at the house.  Sixteen contestants would battle it out for the prize money.  For those who don't make their way to the top and fall to the wayside, they should be taken care of by their host until more action is available.  I was sure to provide some healthy choices for snacking, such as carrots and hummus, nuts and slightly less offensive whole grain chips.  I put thought into the dip by buying a lower fat version of the french onion my brother likes.  For those that feel they need something more, a bag of Tostitos and pretzels.  Of course guests bring their own crunchy morsels to add to the minefield.  

Since I didn't finish in the money in either of the two contests played out last night, I found myself with idle hands and an we know who's playground they are.  It's the devil on my shoulder's playground.  I found myself slipping into old bad habits by grabbing a few pretzels and dipping them into creamy onion dip.  I threw back a few tortilla chips and handfuls of salted smokey almonds.  I also talked myself into two of the beers that were calling to me from the cooler.  Alcohol always seems to grease the skids when backsliding into the caloric wasteland.  I probably downed around seven hundred, or more, empty calories with my thoughtless scavenging last evening.  The leftover treats need to be hidden away or given away before more damage is done.  I am not happy, nor proud, of my missteps perpetrated here on my home turf.  This is supposed to be my safest place.  Instead, I scattered temptation about and we'll find out Monday what the price paid will be.

Cya on Sunday,
M

What I ate today and how I exercised:
Breakfast ~ An Egg McMuffin on the road, w/a large decaf
Lunch ~ We ordered in at my business meeting.  I ordered broiled salmon over a lightly dressed arugula salad and ate 1/3 of a slice of veggie pizza
Dinner ~ Veggie lasagna
Snacks ~ All of the crap you see above
Exercise ~ none

2 comments:

  1. I make dips with onion or veggie soup mix (like Knorr's) and plain fat-free yogurt. If you want a bit more creaminess you can add in just a bit of light mayo. H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip, H. I will just have to caution everyone to check the sodium levels on the prepackaged soup mixes. You may wish to take note of the ingredients and craft some yourself. I love the yogurt idea. I am going to do that next time.

    ReplyDelete