Friday, August 3, 2012

Food Thursday 08.02.12

The last few weeks I have had a taste for some jambalaya.  For years I have used the Zatarain's Jambalaya Mix out of the box and doctored it up with my own enhancements.  My thought process recently was to use boil-in-bag brown rice and the spice packet from the Zatarain's, some chicken andoullie sausage and my normal accoutrements.  I had the sausage and the brown rice, but when I went to the pantry to find my cache of Zatarain's, there was none!  The horror of it all!  I was all amped up for a delicious meal and now what?  It's a good thing I'm well equipped to handle such atrocities.  Packet, schmacket.  I'd make my own spice mix.


Here is what I came up with on the fly.  I have to say it was pretty damn good.  It is ready in about twenty-five minutes and, for my money, even better the next day.  I like mine with a few dashes of Frank's Red Hot stirred in, but you may not be a hot sauce kind of person.  You can also change the level of heat in the dry spices by adjusting the amount of cayenne.  If your family likes this type of food, it's a perfect weeknight offering.  Jambalaya is like a blank canvas to which you can add chicken, shrimp or even crawfish.  When using seafood, just add it in during the last five minutes of cooking instead of at the beginning.  Heck, I've added multiple proteins in a single batch using leftover rotisserie chicken or lean pork.  Just be sure to watch your fat and salt levels in the additional ingredients.  Go ahead.  Experiment.  Play with your food!


Quick and Easy Jambalaya
Serves 3


Ingredients

1 tsp smoked paprika 
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper 
1 tsp garlic powder 
1 tsp onion powder 
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp celery seed
1 pinch cumin (1/8 tsp)
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 red bell pepper diced into 1/4" squares
2 stalks celery diced 1/4" 
1/4 cup diced onion
3 chicken andouille sausages
1.5 tsp Worcestershire sauce 
1.5 cups low-sodium chicken stock or broth
1.5 cups or 1 small can diced tomatoes, liquid included
1 bag brown rice, boil in bag removed (Success is the brand I use)
2 Tbs chopped fresh parsley (use 1 tsp dry as a sub, but add it to your spice mix in step 1)


Method

  1. Mix your dry ingredients (paprika through thyme) in a small bowl, breaking up any clumps you might have in the cayenne or paprika.
  2. Slice your sausages down the middle lengthwise so that you have six long pieces, then crosswise in 1/2-inch slices.
  3. In a large microwave safe bowl, add all of your ingredients, except the fresh parsley, mixing very well to fully incorporate your spice mix.
  4. Cover with either a lid or cling wrap and microwave on high for 15 minutes, stirring half way through.  BE CAREFUL!  IT WILL BE VERY HOT AND STEAM WILL BURN YOU!  *microwave times vary.  Test your rice for doneness.
  5. Remove from the microwave, stir and let sit for 5 minutes.  
  6. Stir in parsley and serve with a nice side salad and hot sauce.
I hope you enjoy this quick version of my jambalaya.  The brown rice has a lower glycemic index than the traditional white rice and the batch I made came in at only 210 calories per serving.  Your brand of sausage or protein of choice will vary the nutritional content.

Cya,
M

What I ate Thursday and how I exercised:
Breakfast ~ Kashi Go-Lean Crisp cereal w/banana and almond milk
Lunch ~ Smoked Turkey and lean ham on a deli flat w/tomato and lite chipotle mayo
Dinner ~ Sliced roasted turkey breast and an arugula salad dressed with lemon and EVOO, plus shaved parmigiano cheese
Evening decaf w/fat free half and half






No comments:

Post a Comment