Friday, September 27, 2013

Soup's On!

I'm not shy about my love for soup.  The Wife loves a good bowl as well.  The other day she said she had a desire for some broccoli soup. Always happy to oblige a request to feed someone, I happily volunteered.  I recall a while back seeing a Gordon Ramsay show where he made the simplest of broccoli soups and won a heads-up competition with it.  While this one is extremely similar, it has a couple little additions to suit our tastes.

This couldn't be easier.  It helps, however, to have a good size steamer and decent blender.  And, of course, the fresher the broccoli, the tastier the end product will be.  If you don't have a steamer, boiling the broccoli works as well.

Broccoli Soup

Ingredients
8 cups ~  broccoli florets and stems, cut to equal size, stems trimmed of tough exterior
6 cups ~ water
3 tsp ~ salt
1 tsp ~ fresh ground pepper
1.5 Tbsp ~ Olive Oil
2 Tbs ~ Dijon mustard
3 ~ roasted garlic cloves

Optional garnish ~ toasted pumpkin seeds, toasted pignoli, toasted walnuts or feta crumbles

Method

  1. Steam the broccoli until tender.  Extract individual pieces once they easily pierce with a knife.  USE TONGS!  Steam is hot. Offload to your blender.  DO NOT DISCARD THE WATER!
  2. Cover your broccoli filled blender half way with the steamer water.
  3. Add the rest of ingredients and blend until smooth.  Add more water if necessary.  You may not require all of the water and you may need to blend in batches.  TIP: Remove the center cap of your blender lid and cover with a towel. Hot liquids expand in a blender and it can explode if you do not do this!
  4. It's ready to serve! Garnish with your choice of accoutrements.
Cya tomorrow,
M

What I ate today and how I exercised:
Breakfast ~ Egg White Delight McMuffin and coffee.  I bought bagels for a customer and it took incredible control not to eat one slathered with cream cheese.
Lunch ~ A Protein Bistro Box and Decaf Skinny Caramel Macchiato
Dinner ~ Rotisserie chicken, brown rice and seaweed salad.
Exercise ~ My back felt much better, so I tempted fate and did a 30-minute workout at the gym.  I feel good! da da da da da da da... I knew that I would. da da da da da da da.


1 comment:

  1. Oddly enough, I saw this today, just a few days after posting about the exploding blender. http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/super-quick-video-tips/2013/07/how-to-avoid-a-blender-blunder-involving-hot-soup-video/?extcode=N00SPFA00

    ReplyDelete